1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How to add a third monitor? (with pictures!)

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by TheFantod, Nov 25, 2012.

1. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot. Supporting Member

My band is getting ready to play our first show in two weeks. :hyper:

We've been practicing with an electronic drumset the whole time. When we loaded up the acoustic drums, we realized our drummer would have problems hearing vocals. (He needs to hear them, trust me.)

We are providing the PA - which is a Peavey 8600D, which has two 600 watt channels. This is the set-up as it is now:
    [​IMG]

We need a third monitor. I've got some cheap monitors from our earlier P.A, but I'm worried we might blow the speaker in the cheap monitor. Also, I've never understood the Voodoo that is ohm-ige (and I've tried). This would be the setup: (option A)
    [​IMG]

I assume, if we went this route, we'd lose half the power of the first two monitors, and possibly blow out the third? (cheap monitor is only rated to 160watts peak).

The other option would to add a powered monitor and use the monitor out feature from the front of the unit, which would look like this: (option B)
    [​IMG]

I'm leaning towards this option, as I think it's safer.

So what say you, Live Sound Gurus? Option A, B, or is there an Option C I'm not aware of?

Many thanks in advance....

2. bassplayerbob

bassplayerbob

Option b. Go with a powered add on. Safer.

3. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

If your monitors are 8 ohm, you can't add a third. Three 8 ohm monitors will drop the impedance too low, and will likely damage the amp. It's powered monitor or just the two you have.

4. atheos

atheos

I wouldn't add any stage noise unless absolutely necessary so I propose option C: in-ear monitoring for the drummer. The front panel monitor out is line level, right? Connect it to a compact mixer or a headphone amp and the drummer can adjust the level to his own liking without asking you. Nice and simple. All you need is a headphone amp and a pair of good earbuds.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Your solutions are well thought out.

A will work, but you have to keep the balance more to the side with the 2 speakers so you won't damage the single speaker. (I assume that your PA is Stereo, and the speakers are 8 Ohms). The 2 speakers in parallel will be 4 Ohms. Most SS amps put out more power into a lower impedance, so your level may not change at all. Try it out and start at a low volume so you can hear if anything is struggling.

B is also a good idea, but will cost you some extra $$.

C is also a good idea but will cost you more $$ as you have to buy the monitors and headphone amp.

7. bassplayerbob

bassplayerbob

I Just read the specs on the amp and it is 4 ohm min per channel(4 ohms for the main and 4 ohms for the monitors). Just pickup a used Mackie Thump 12A and he will be all set.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

The mixer is stereo only if you don't run monitors. Setup A will blow the mixer.

9. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Congrats on the gig.

^This.

Option B would be the one I'd take though. More control over individual levels.

My option C wouldn't be in-ears, too much money for potential ear damage if care is not taken, but a conventional power amp feeding passive monitor(s). The old school way if You wish ;).

Regards
    Sam

10. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Oh, misread the number of channels.
    It's 6AM, I'm not at my sharpest this early it seems once again ;).

Option B it is then. (Or series box for the cabs).

Regards
    Sam

11. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

If you've got a spare amp, even a bass amp, you could power the cheap monitor with it out of the monitor out. I've pieced together some hodgepodge PAs in my time.

Did the electronic drums have an amp?

12. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot. Supporting Member

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

That's a grand idea! I've got a couple of practice amps laying around that would be perfect for a drum monitor.

Big time thanks, Nutdog. THIS is why I come to Talkbass with queries!