1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How to adjust action at the bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RxFunk, Jan 26, 2013.

1. RxFunk

RxFunk

2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
  3. bassteban

bassteban

Read the stickie near the top of the *hardware, setup & repair*- 5th one down I think

4. RxFunk

RxFunk

That would probably be a good place to check...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassteban

bassteban

Hey, no worries- I hope I didn't come off all snarky or w/e. The answers to most basic questions are already written down somewhere in here, it's just a matter of knowing where to look. And it never hurts to ask- Ill give you credit for posting in the right forum! :cool:

7. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm... seems as tho theres 4 missing hex screws in the saddles. I would recommend considering an after-market bridge with the proper saddle adjustments. That one is is clearly poorly designed.

8. bassteban

bassteban

I can't make it out on my iPad, but I'd be rather surprised if Ibanez produced a bass that couldn't be setup properly. There may be some atypical height adjustment screw that doesn't show from this angle.

Edit: Duh, got the pic bigger- still, I'd be shocked if the height can't be adjusted. Hard to assess w/o bass in hand

9. RxFunk

RxFunk

Haha, thanks, a lot of the time, when I go to post something, I start looking in the section and find exactly what I'm looking for, I just have to dig a little more sometimes I guess.

10. RxFunk

RxFunk

Is that the first picture I have up? The four holes, because I believe there are in fact screws in there. I ask only because I'm not 100% on what the saddle actually is.:bag: not sure why this pic is on this comment , but I can't get it to go away, so just ignore it:)

11. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Yeah, toss that bridge in the trash and find one that actually works like a bridge is supposed to. There needs to be 4 more adjustment screws than there currently is. By cranking on those screws, you're just gonna tilt the saddles sideways. I can't believe that ibanez would make something like that!

12. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

Yes, the 4 screws are there, but only on one side of the bridge saddle. There needs to be complimentary adjustments on the opposite sides so theres not that torturous twisting of the strings. (ouch!) I mean, strings are designed to "bend" but not as those obtuse angles as shown in the pics.

Anyways, this is where your string-height adjustment will be made; at the bridge saddles. To a lesser degree, perhaps the nut might be dialed in to lower the action. But I would seriously consider a replacement bridge to start before any tweaking on the nut. imo.

13. RxFunk

RxFunk

Okay, I'll go see my luthier tomorrow(his shop's closed sunday), and see what kind of bridge he's got that will fit this, or if he can help me fix this one. Thanks skychief

14. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Don't those Ibanez bridges have a separate place to raise the level of all four strings at once, and then you use the small screws on the saddles to make fine adjustments to the action? Could have sworn I've set those up before.

15. RxFunk

RxFunk

I hope so, because I don't really want to replace it.

16. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    It looks like its only half finished or they forgot to add the rest of the adjustment screws.
    There clearly should be another adjustment screw on the other side of each saddle which it doesnt ? How can you achieve correct string level with only 1 screw to adjust ?
    Saddles should be flush with the plate.The saddles on your bridge are all on an angle which isnt good.
    Ive never seen a bridge like that,thats wierd as !Throw it or have someone drill 4 new holes for adjusting the saddles so the are level.
    Ibanez.........

17. RxFunk

RxFunk

Aw jeez, I really hope it's what Scott said it is. I'll take it to my luthier, and see what he thinks. His shop also sells Ibanez, so if need be, a replacement shouldn't be too hard to get.

18. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I don't have my Ibanez anymore, but the way I remember it, there was another screw that raised a plate beneath the saddles. Seemed like there was one on one side and two on the other, though. I can't see anything like that in the pictures you posted, so it's possible that's all there is.

Now you may be trying to fix a problem on the wrong end. If the truss rod is too tight you might be able to back it off and then lower the saddles back down. Any good setup guy will be able to tell you if that's the case, and with a little patience you can follow the setup guides here to figure it out.

If neither of those work, you could shim the neck to drop the amount that those saddles have to be brought up; I'm sure the bass was designed with enough movement so maybe it's just moved a bit. If it's a neck-thru bass, and adjusting the truss rod won't fix it, you're above my pay grade.

Good luck!

19. RxFunk

RxFunk

Thanks, I was gonna go see my luthier today, but I figured if I needed to pay for it, I should wait until I got paid(wednesday). So, I'll update on wednesday and let you guys know what's up then.