1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How to bury ferrules?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by reverendrally, Dec 1, 2013.

1. reverendrally

reverendrally

Having put off using them for so long, I gave in and finally went looking for some ferrules (not to be confused with 'ferals').

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400397064098?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

When they arrived (in a record 6 days!) I then started trying to figure out how to put them in. They're 14.2mm in dia, to be precise. Initially I thought drill a 14mm hole in a router guide and using a pattern bit to make the recess would do the trick, but it was so tight, I had to hammer the ferrule in. If you look on the left at the pic below you can see what I had to do to get the ferrule out of the test piece... :rollno:

[​IMG]

Then I went looking for a 14mm router bit, but of course the local hardware doesn't have that. They have 12.5 and 16, but that's it. In my seaching I came across a 15mm forstner bit. You can see the ferrule has some space around it. This is what I'm concerned about.

What I'm thinking is that space is ok, coz once I oil the body, I'll have a smaller hole and the ferrule should be snug, without being ridiculously tight like before. If this right approach or do I need to start again?
  2. tdogg

tdogg Supporting Member

I'm curious too....
  3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

It'll be fine. I use 15mm ferrules and a 5/8" (15.875mm) forstner bit to drill the recess. It is not necessary for the ferrule to be a press/interference fit. The screw's clamping pressure will keep it snug.
  4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

What you need for that particular ferrule is a 9/16" forstner or brad point bit. I don't know how easy it is to find non metric size drill bits where you live but that is the size you need.
  5. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

:)

If You don't mind the fact that people don't have to ask you whether you made it yourself or not it isn't.
    IMO anyway.

OP, You have an access to a grinder of some sorts if I remember correctly?

Just grind an appropriate forstner bit of the nearest larger size into the size You need/want.

If You do both painted and oiled/waxed finishes, keep that in mind unless you want to grind two bits down.

Regards
    Sam
  6. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

drill a large hole in a sheet of "template material" and use a router with a collar to make the actual hole for the ferule.
  7. Harry Cahyadi

Harry Cahyadi Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    C Basses Owner & Builder
    As Hopkins mentioned 9/16" forstner is what you need.

However, I'm fully aware that it is freaking hard to get fraction bits here in Australia, especially 9/16" in forstner shape. I have no idea why :-(

What I did before was bought 9/16" brad point bit (bunnings or masters usually sells it as 14.3mm instead of 9/16"), got a 1/4" or thicker scrap mdf (if you use anything thinner, your ferrule holes will be too deep), using the bit, drilled a hole through. Used that mdf as my routing template with top bearing.

All the best...

Harry
  8. reverendrally

reverendrally

9. DaanW

DaanW

Just drill 14mm holes and then this:
    [​IMG]

that's how I do it
  10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

What is funny is that its is almost impossible to find a 15mm forstner bit in the states. I had to use a brad point instead.
  11. mapleglo

mapleglo Supporting Member

I did the same in my build.
  12. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD