How to bury ferrules?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by reverendrally, Dec 1, 2013.

1. reverendrally

reverendrally

Having put off using them for so long, I gave in and finally went looking for some ferrules (not to be confused with 'ferals').

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400397064098?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

When they arrived (in a record 6 days!) I then started trying to figure out how to put them in. They're 14.2mm in dia, to be precise. Initially I thought drill a 14mm hole in a router guide and using a pattern bit to make the recess would do the trick, but it was so tight, I had to hammer the ferrule in. If you look on the left at the pic below you can see what I had to do to get the ferrule out of the test piece... :rollno:

[​IMG]

Then I went looking for a 14mm router bit, but of course the local hardware doesn't have that. They have 12.5 and 16, but that's it. In my seaching I came across a 15mm forstner bit. You can see the ferrule has some space around it. This is what I'm concerned about.

What I'm thinking is that space is ok, coz once I oil the body, I'll have a smaller hole and the ferrule should be snug, without being ridiculously tight like before. If this right approach or do I need to start again?

2. tdogg

tdogg Supporting Member

I'm curious too....

3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

It'll be fine. I use 15mm ferrules and a 5/8" (15.875mm) forstner bit to drill the recess. It is not necessary for the ferrule to be a press/interference fit. The screw's clamping pressure will keep it snug.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

What you need for that particular ferrule is a 9/16" forstner or brad point bit. I don't know how easy it is to find non metric size drill bits where you live but that is the size you need.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

:)

If You don't mind the fact that people don't have to ask you whether you made it yourself or not it isn't.
    IMO anyway.

OP, You have an access to a grinder of some sorts if I remember correctly?

Just grind an appropriate forstner bit of the nearest larger size into the size You need/want.

If You do both painted and oiled/waxed finishes, keep that in mind unless you want to grind two bits down.

Regards
    Sam

7. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

drill a large hole in a sheet of "template material" and use a router with a collar to make the actual hole for the ferule.

8. Harry Cahyadi

Harry Cahyadi Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    C Basses Owner & Builder
    As Hopkins mentioned 9/16" forstner is what you need.

However, I'm fully aware that it is freaking hard to get fraction bits here in Australia, especially 9/16" in forstner shape. I have no idea why :-(

What I did before was bought 9/16" brad point bit (bunnings or masters usually sells it as 14.3mm instead of 9/16"), got a 1/4" or thicker scrap mdf (if you use anything thinner, your ferrule holes will be too deep), using the bit, drilled a hole through. Used that mdf as my routing template with top bearing.

All the best...

Harry

9. reverendrally

reverendrally

10. DaanW

DaanW

Just drill 14mm holes and then this:
    [​IMG]

that's how I do it

11. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

What is funny is that its is almost impossible to find a 15mm forstner bit in the states. I had to use a brad point instead.

12. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I did the same in my build.

13. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD