How to Clean a Volume Pot?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Jul 10, 2012.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

His might be a dumb question, but I will ask it anyway. How do you clean a volume or any pot?

When I turn my volume up all the way right at the very of turning it all the way up the sound cuts in and out. I can tap the knob and it works fine. Not a huge deal but maybe I can fix it myself.

Thanks for the help,

Shaun
  2. jtl1380

jtl1380

You can either use a contact cleaner like DeoxIT or you could just replace the volume pot (assuming you're comfortable with some minor soldering).
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1.

Personally, I just replace it. Even if you're not comfortable soldering, if you want to learn it's a good simple project to get started with.
  4. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

The bass is a 1983 Ibanez Roadstar II. When replacing a new Volume pot what is needed as far as getting a new pot? What kind of pot? Does it make a difference?

Shaun
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

It does. If the bass is passive you'll want to get 250K or 500K pots, probably just matching whatever is in it now. Unless you want to change the tone a little. There should be a number stamped into the pot somewhere (A500 for example would tell you it's a 500K audio taper pot)

Given the choice between audio taper or linear taper, you'll want audio taper for a volume pot. It'll give you a smoother taper over the sweep of the pot.