How to clean the fretboard and body on my basses (diferent woods)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by matius88, Jul 12, 2013.

1. matius88

matius88

well i have 4 basses and i want to clean the fretboard and body, i read that there are a lot of oils and stuff to clean them, but i dont know if the woods have the same treat in all the cases:

first bass sx (i think is rosewood fretboard and )
    [​IMG]

second bass Warwick standard corvette 4 (Wenge and swamp ash and Honey Violin OFC / Satin Surface):
    with this bass i have a kit but i dont have the manual so i dont know what to do with it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Squier fretless i know this is ebonol and its plastic should i clean it why a dry cloth with water? the body is Agathis.

[​IMG]

Shecter 5 jm signature rosewood fretboard and solid mahogany body
    [​IMG]

thanks for all!
  2. AudioDwebe

AudioDwebe Supporting Member

I did a bunch of research into this at one point and have come to use the following items: Foaming Windex for fretboard (all woods), followed by boiled linseed oil treatment.

I also use the foaming Windex for the body and will apply a light coating of bees wax (unless the bass has some coating on the wood).

Seems to work for me.

Good luck with your search.
  3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Fretboards: leave them alone. They're fine. If they have BBQ goo on them, use a damp cloth - otherwise, they're fine and they don't need anything.

Body: Virtuoso cleaner, followed by Virtuoso polish. http://www.virtuosopolish.com/

Wonderful stuff, won't harm any finish, will give you nice results.
  4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Turtle wax automotive paste or Johnson's paste floor wax for poly finishes. Meguiars cleaner wax liquid for lacquer.

Fret boards? Play it. If you just have to clean it a damp rag is plenty.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Do not get rosewood fretboards wet, you will dry out the oils in them and they will look terrible.
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Apparently there is a difference between wet and damp. I've been rubbing down rosewood fretboards with damp rags forever and never had any problem, unless you are from the school of removing crud degrades the funk factor. :D

I don't get crazy about it and only do it if there is a big buildup of gunk.
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A damp rag on rosewood is fine.
  9. soflbass

soflbass

After wiping rosewood fretboards down with a damp rag, and letting them dry, I apply fretboard conditioner I bought in a kit made by Gibson from musicians friend. It replenishes the oils in the wood and dries to a semi glossy finish.