How to conect the SVT4 with two cabs (8 ihm) in bridge mono mode.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Hab101, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Hab101

Hab101

I own an Ampeg SVT4, and I'm connecting it to a 410 (900W) at 8 ohm. I allways use it monobridge-mode.

So I doubt between these two options:

-Buy an 810, then I'll take the max. power of the amp with just one cab and in monobridge mode. My back will not appreciate that.
    -Buy another 410 or a 412 (it would be 8 ohm) and combine it with the other 410 I already have.
    But, how do I combine it to take max. wattage of the SVT?
    -If I connect one cab to amp A and the other to amp B I'll get 300 W per channel. I Need/WANT more wattage for me.
    -How do I connect both cabs so that I can run the amp in momobridge mode. Then I could get 1200 W in to two cabs, wich is the max. wattage of the SVT. Parallel? Or maybe pluggin both cabs, each one to an amp, and using the mono-bridge option? Will that work?

Is 410 and 412 (two cabs) a good configuration?
    Thanks folks!!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wouldn't do two different cabs personally, because it's a total crapshoot whether they work and play well with each other, but matched cabs always work.

Anyway, you can just daisy chain the cabs and plug them into one speaker out on the 4 Pro. I question their ability to take 900w, though. Never saw a 410 that was good for anything beyond 500w before it farts out.

3. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

For starters, Your back will hate two 410s far more than one 810. And as Jimmy M. said, mixing cabs is a total crapshoot. I have a hard time believing that running a 4 Pro into a 4 ohm 810 would not be enough wattage for anyone.

4. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

As already stated - mixed cabs can work, OR it can sound like crap. Matching cabs always works.

Also, getting your "Max" wattage does not really add as much as you think.

Doubling your wattage output (from 600w to 1,200w) only gains you +3db (and that is *IF* your cabs can take the extra wattage and make use of it).

Most likely you will not even really hear a difference in total output.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ljazz

ljazz

Doubling into the same cab wouldn't be very noticeable....... adding another cab would be very noticeable.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Just as a note: if you are running in bridge mode you should be using Speakons. It really isn't safe to use 1/4" phone plugs.

8. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

You must use the bridged plug in bridged mono mode to get the true power out of that Pro4. I use 1 or 2 SVT40HE's depending on the sound requirement. Having the 2 cabs provides ultimate flexibility.

I have 2 410HE's as well as an 810. Depending on you own situation (storage, house steps, automobile, help, etc), I can get the 2 410's out from the house and into my truck by myself. The 810, regardless of the wheels and what some people say, is like moving a refrigerator. Once in a while is fine, but I would be hating life if I had the 810 as my only cab.....

9. Hab101

Hab101

10. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

I believe everyone has missed the technical point here.. There is a bridge output Speakon on the 4 PRO - plug into that and go into one cab, then off of that speaker, do a normal Speakon into the next cabinet. The Speakon cable needed for the amp connection needs to have the end of it re-wired. Download the manual and start reading. http://www.ampeg.com/products/pro/svt4pro/

Don't forget about the mono-bridge switch either.

EDIT: I just checked the manual - looks like the newer 4 PRO's don't require re-wiring of the Speakon end connecting to the amp. If you have a model from a few years ago - that would need the special cable. I am not sure of the exact year when this was changed.