1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How to decide between when to use chorus and when to use a flanger?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Hi all,

So, i am trying to keep a pretty small pedalboard... no more than 3 or 4 pedals. I'm using an Akai Headrush e2 for delay, a Bluebeard for fuzzieness, and my Boss tu-2 tuner...

But i have both a Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus, and an old BF-2 Flanger... but i'm having a hard time deciding between them.

The Chorus seems too subdued, but the Flanger is almost TOO over the top... should i just be on the look out for a better version of one or the other? I think i'd probably want another Chorus, as the Fuzz+Chorus has a really good effect, for me.

Thanks!
  2. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

Try taming the flanger, as a first step. It can probably do a mellower version of what you like. Do you have any designs on using the stereo output of the chorus (1 side to your amp, the other to a DI that feeds the house)? That's particularly useful, to me. You may find that trading the chorus and flanger pedals for a BF-3 (which has stereo out, and a bass-specific input) would be a wise move.
  3. erigod23

erigod23

Or perhaps the new MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe, which, at the press of a button becomes a Flanger! Voila!
  4. coldwar1977

coldwar1977

I would keep the BF-2.

It's a great flanger.

And if you turn the MANUAL and RES knobs to zero you can also use the pedal as a chorus, try it!
  5. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Oh awesome! Thanks!

Yeah, i LOVE the pedal... it's just difficult to tame.

I'd like both sounds... and if i can do the chorus-y thing with the BF-2, that's quite the plus!