1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How to decide between when to use chorus and when to use a flanger?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Hi all,

So, i am trying to keep a pretty small pedalboard... no more than 3 or 4 pedals. I'm using an Akai Headrush e2 for delay, a Bluebeard for fuzzieness, and my Boss tu-2 tuner...

But i have both a Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus, and an old BF-2 Flanger... but i'm having a hard time deciding between them.

The Chorus seems too subdued, but the Flanger is almost TOO over the top... should i just be on the look out for a better version of one or the other? I think i'd probably want another Chorus, as the Fuzz+Chorus has a really good effect, for me.

Thanks!

2. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

Try taming the flanger, as a first step. It can probably do a mellower version of what you like. Do you have any designs on using the stereo output of the chorus (1 side to your amp, the other to a DI that feeds the house)? That's particularly useful, to me. You may find that trading the chorus and flanger pedals for a BF-3 (which has stereo out, and a bass-specific input) would be a wise move.

3. erigod23

erigod23

Or perhaps the new MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe, which, at the press of a button becomes a Flanger! Voila!

4. coldwar1977

coldwar1977

I would keep the BF-2.

It's a great flanger.

And if you turn the MANUAL and RES knobs to zero you can also use the pedal as a chorus, try it!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Oh awesome! Thanks!

Yeah, i LOVE the pedal... it's just difficult to tame.

I'd like both sounds... and if i can do the chorus-y thing with the BF-2, that's quite the plus!