1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

How to decide between when to use chorus and when to use a flanger?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Hi all,

So, i am trying to keep a pretty small pedalboard... no more than 3 or 4 pedals. I'm using an Akai Headrush e2 for delay, a Bluebeard for fuzzieness, and my Boss tu-2 tuner...

But i have both a Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus, and an old BF-2 Flanger... but i'm having a hard time deciding between them.

The Chorus seems too subdued, but the Flanger is almost TOO over the top... should i just be on the look out for a better version of one or the other? I think i'd probably want another Chorus, as the Fuzz+Chorus has a really good effect, for me.

Thanks!

2. Try taming the flanger, as a first step. It can probably do a mellower version of what you like. Do you have any designs on using the stereo output of the chorus (1 side to your amp, the other to a DI that feeds the house)? That's particularly useful, to me. You may find that trading the chorus and flanger pedals for a BF-3 (which has stereo out, and a bass-specific input) would be a wise move.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. erigod23

erigod23

Mar 19, 2007
    Fredericton, NB
    Or perhaps the new MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe, which, at the press of a button becomes a Flanger! Voila!

5. coldwar1977

coldwar1977

Aug 1, 2012
    Belgium
    I would keep the BF-2.

It's a great flanger.

And if you turn the MANUAL and RES knobs to zero you can also use the pedal as a chorus, try it!

6. Oh awesome! Thanks!

Yeah, i LOVE the pedal... it's just difficult to tame.

I'd like both sounds... and if i can do the chorus-y thing with the BF-2, that's quite the plus!