how to do this.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gfclef48, Feb 16, 2014.

1. gfclef48

gfclef48

Hi folks gfclef48 here. I am new to the learning bass world. only know my roots and fifths so far and was wondering if anyone could tell me if its possible to play bass thru my laptop while using headphones. I would like to be able to use you tube and learn to play along with tunes I see. problem is that I don't want to bother anyone else in the house, so I have to do it through headphones. I have a rp90 with effects. is it possible to do this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

It will probably blow the headphones. I wish Fender would just make a computer for that, but it could lead to "my bass lines were hacked.".

3. extarbags

extarbags

I think it works if you use something like this. It's for a music video game but it also works with other audio programs. Seems like it should digitize the signal coming from the bass and output it through your computer speakers or headphone if you have them plugged in.

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I sometimes use a Tascam US122 to play through a computer while using headphones.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Happynoj

Happynoj

Line 6 Toneport GX.

7. JakobT

JakobT

I use an Ampeg amp with a CD playthrough option, which I run the laptop through.

8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

My setup is probably unnecessarily complicated, it just developed over time. I run both my computer (from its phones output) and my amp into a cheap mixing board (a Yamaha MG10/2) and then headphones out of that. Works just fine, but that way I can play with headphones to anything I can play on the computer, without using a digital interface for the bass.

9. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

I practice through a computer, out to headphones, every day. Bass plugs into the "Mic" input on the sound card, using an adapter cable from Radio Shack. I can play along with iTunes or any other sound player. PC is on Windows XP - some versions of Windows (Vista, on laptop, won't connect mic. in to headphone out) don't work.

Standard Windows sound control lets mic input & .wav, etc. playback levels to be set independently. Passive bass, I crank volume up all the way - active, volume at about 25%. Full PC volume is a little loud, but tolerable. I usually run it at about 75-80%.

10. JustForSport

JustForSport

A Korg PX5D or Mini will allow headphones, w/wo laptop/computer thru USB, plug in a CD player, plus tuner, and lots of effects-
    can be very reasonable used off the 'bay.

11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You need an interface to connect your bass to your computer.

Um, no. Certain headphones are much better than others for bass reproduction. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

12. JohnPaulSmith

JohnPaulSmith

I just plug my phone or tablet into the aux input of my amp. I'm sure the same could be done with a laptop.

13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

That doesn't really help the OP, who doesn't want to make any noise.

14. omie

omie

My $99 ampeg practice amp has an aux in(computer in) and a headphone out.

15. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I, too, have to practice as silently as possible…something to do with me not being murdered by my girlfriend who;
    • does computer work from home
    • is very A.D.D.
    • is prone to migraines

Go fig! :D

In lieu of a standard amp, I use a Pocket Rockit S1b plugged into my bass with a decent pair of headphones. If I want to play along with my laptop or an mp3 player, I use a 1/8"-to-1/8" male-to-male auxiliary cable plugged into the S1b's "line in" port.