How to fasten a grill faceplate ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by FerK, Oct 16, 2013.

1. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Folks, I got a used 210 like this one:

[​IMG]

It came without a faceplace, which I just got from the distributor. I wonder how to install it.

It has these small non-threaded bits protruding from the back, that I don't think are intended to hold screws (they have an internal diameter of around 2mm (in inches it would be around 5/64). It looks like this:

[​IMG]

Should I try to screw it in ? Glue it with a strong double-sided tape ?

Thoughts ? Thank you !
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Being a non native speaker, I do not know the correct name for the lock "washer" that's supposed to go over the plastic pins, but it's a kind of a star washer with the cuts on the inside, not on the outside.

A car parts store will have 'em.
    Most of the interior panels on Your car are probably held in place by those.

That's the "correct" intended way of fastening it, but double sided tape usually rattles less ;).

Regards
    Sam
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You checked the lugs fit your grill? They look like they would wind up flush on the reverse of the grill, so I'd be tempted to use screws and washers.
  4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

The cabinet might look better without the logo. If the logo vibrates, it can make a rattling sound. Some companies apply a silicon glue to the back of the logo to help keep it on the metal grille and also prevent noise due to vibration. On some company's cabinets the pins go into holes drilled into the baffle. They use glue on the pins to hold it in place. Don't know what was done for your cab. I would use the pins in the holes of the grille as registration points to keep the logo square, then use a small amount of silicon glue on the back of the Hartke logo to affix it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

I'm quite sure you're talking about "Internal tooth star lock washers". I'll give it a try, as I feel screws THAT small are hard to find, and they might even break the pins,which are probably not designed to hold screws anyhow.

That might rattle a bit, so I'll try that along with some silicone on the grille, to avoid vibration and rattle.

@ Downunderwonder: I haven't (just got the envelope at the office), but they're a good 1/4 long. I think they won't be flush with the grille.

@ beans-on-toast: I agree (it'd look better without it), but there's damage to the paint where the logo goes, thus I ordered it. It's easier to install the nameplate than re-painting a $100 cab.
  7. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

8. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Yep, and the company that makes them is called Starlock :).

Available for example from:

http://www.bakfin.com/

Nope, those IME can come loose and cause the badge to rattle in this kind of application.
    I've tried, that's how I know :).

Regards
    Sam
  9. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Those should work.
    Thanks for the pointer !
  10. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

You're welcome.

If I hadn't tried them myself, I'd probably would had made the same suggestion.

They do look deceptively similar :).

Regards
    Sam
  11. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Update: I got home and "tried" the faceplate on. Funny thing: the tips that protrude from the back have a matched-tolerance diameter to the grill holes. Just push it in. :)
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Jolly good! They must have kept the same grill.

Epoxy might fall down on you if you should accidentally smash it but it won't ever rattle!