1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How to Feedbacker

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Endzeit96, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Endzeit96

Endzeit96

Hi, I just bought a Boss FB-2 Feedbacker/Booster and I was wondering if anybody had some tips for how to get some awesome sounds out of it?

2. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    What other pedals do you have?

3. cnltb

cnltb

What exactly is it , a feedbacker does?

4. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Feeds

Back ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cnltb

cnltb

I gathered that much ;-)
    So if I ,say have an on and a fuzz pedal what would a feed back thingy do...how are these feedback units used?

7. rratajski

rratajski

Disclosures:
    Each pedal performs differently (or sometimes not at all) with a feedback looper. Even a pedal, like a distortion pedal, will perform differently when the pedal's settings are changed. Hit YouTube and search for feedback loopers. Tons to enjoy!

8. sketch

sketch

If memory serves, that is a nice sounding boost pedal. Set the Boost level to how loud you want it, set character to the left to preserve more bass (to the right spikes mids and cuts bass&treble if I remember correctly), and then hold the foot switch down and play with the Feedback knob. I think it is more like a sample and hold drone note, but does a decent feedback approximation.

9. Endzeit96

Endzeit96

Iv Got a Boss tr2 tremolo, ph3 phase shifter, bf3 bass flanger, odb3 bass overdrive and tu3 chromatic tuner, as well as and a carbon copy and bass envelope filter by MXR

10. cnltb

cnltb

Ok... I had a good look on the net and have an idea what these things do now.

The question now is...which one to get.
    I like the fairfield operator...no idea why I like it, but I do.
    It looks cool, but how about passive ones vs.active ones etc...why go active if it is only the incoming signal that's routed...what does that active thing do or add?
    I haven't seen enough to know what is out there and in how far they are different from oneanother.

What about price range and diy kits... I read somewhere,that these are easy to build...not for me, mind you...

The thing I know is that I want one.
    Any more tips or illuminations on the questions that are going through my head now?
    I'd appreciate it!
    :)

11. cnltb

cnltb

Hope I didn't scare anyone off with all my questions!! :)

12. Endzeit96

Endzeit96

Errrm kinda yeah :p thats way more in depth than i looked, still dont fully understand the difference between passive and active, my budget was £100 so i bought the nicest soznding one i could based on videos reviews etc

13. cnltb

cnltb

which was...? :)

I just stumbled upon these...
    http://weelushfx.webs.com/loopers

14. Endzeit96

Endzeit96

Im having trouble following the link on my phone, but the one i bought as it said at the top is a Boss FB-2 Feedbacker/Looper (yeah i like boss, so sue me :p) anyway, hopefully it'll arrive by friday and if you want ill do some fiddling and give you some feedback XD punpunpun (cos its a feedbacker) :p

15. Ron Now

Ron Now Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    The boss FB-2 and a feedback loop are completely different things.

The boss FB-2 is pretty much the "feedback" section of the famous Boss Feedbacker/distortion which produces a high pitched sustaining feedback when you hold the stomp so etch down. In order to do cool sounds with the FB-2 throw a distortion or fuzz in front of it and then hold down the footswitch for sustaining feedback/droning sounds.

A feedback looper like the Fairfield operator (and the like) is a bypass loop that you hook additional effects up to. Then the pedal will route the signal back through the pedals in the loop. Which leads to all sorts of crazy sounds and textures depending on what effects are in the loop.

16. Endzeit96

Endzeit96

Well, thanks for clearing that up

17. Endzeit96

Endzeit96

Ok well, mines here and having tinkered with it I think I've got it sussed. It works really well in combo with the ODB3 im using it primarily to push the high end in any lead parts I do up the neck, but as a double plus, this means i dont have to compromise so much for the overall sound so I've taken a lot of the treble off the overdrive and now without the booster it gives a really meaty low end :)