How to figure what to sell bass for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andrew B., Dec 10, 2013.

1. Andrew B.

Andrew B. Supporting Member

I want to sell my Ibanez SR 700 Bass. I don't want to sell it over the Internet (too complicated), but I would like to sell it locally. I have no idea how much to discount it for being second hand. It's in mint condition.

I bought it three years ago and it has never left my living room. Looks brand new. No sign of wear.

I want to charge a price that is fair to the customer and me. But I have no idea what to charge. I've looked online for used ones in my area, and the prices differ greatly. Suggestions welcome.
  2. RxFunk

RxFunk

My general rule for mass market, easily available instruments is usually 50-60% of what it sold for new(not the MSRP).
  3. bassteban

bassteban

I'd ask 75-80% of what it went for new and be prepared to drop to 50-60% or whatever bottom line I could accept
  4. elgecko

elgecko

I'd search for completed Ebay listings for similar basses.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. b-bottom

b-bottom Supporting Member

+1
  7. Reddog01

Reddog01

Generally, in retail that involves selling both new and used, there is a formula involved. If a retailer were to get the bass from you, they would most probably ask about 75% of the new price in the store. They would offer you about 50% of their resale price. For example, you traded in a bass that has a current retail price of $1,000, they would most probably price it used for $750. They would offer you 50% of the $750, which would be $375.

Knowing that, gives you some power. This means that you could sell your bass for $600, giving you $225 more in your pocket and saving your buyer $150. You both come out ahead. You will always come out ahead selling it yourself, and the buyer comes out ahead also.
  8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

You can probably charge towards the high end of the spectrum given the condition of the bass as you mentioned. Also, are you including a case or gig bag?
    For reference, here's what Guitar Center charges for used. The one for 549.99 is for one in excellent condition. Low end 349.99. I'd list it for $500 obo. (putting obo gives buyer a little wiggle room to negotiate a lower price). If you're including a case, perhaps $550.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&browser=&fsrc=sr700&src=sr700
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Your a supporting member here, you could just post pics and ask, that is one of the perks.

Assuming your bass looks mint, your probably looking at $500 for a slow sale, $350for a quick sale.
  10. Andrew B.

Thanks. This is very helpful. I now have an idea of how much to charge.
  11. axelrod

axelrod

Love it. Got a great deal at GC I think it was 299 with a ding in the varnish on back, otherwise perfect.
  12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Half what I paid plus a couple of hundred for head room to haggle.
  13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Exactly correct.

Realize that when you list your bass locally, every buyer will go to ebay completed listings first, and GC second. They'll be looking for a better deal than what's listed on those sites, as you can't offer the money back guarantees they do.
  14. mellowinman

mellowinman Fun at Really Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I picked one up for around $500.

I consider that a fair price.

It was in almost mint shape; one finish blemish on the back side, by the cover plate.

I didn't know about the blemish when I bought it, but it was no big deal. I slapped a little clearcoat on it, and that was it.
  15. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

16. Andrew B.

If you wanted to sell an instrument locally, would you use Craigslist?
  17. Habilis

Habilis Supporting Member

With Craigslist you always have to pay the Flake Tax, which is 1-4 people saying they're on their way over to see the item and then disappearing off the face of the earth. Kind of irritating. Also, ("pro tip" :)) always price things in multiples of 20 because that's what people will be getting out of the ATM on their way to you.
  18. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I generally check eBay and CL to see what similar basses are selling for used and depending on if it is local or being shipped I will sell it for close to that price give or take.
  19. Andrew B.

Thanks. I can deal with that. I'm not in a hurry. What I worry about is crazy people.

I'd do this on ebay but I'm not fully able and it would be too much to try to box and ship it. I guess I could advertise here in case someone near me wants it. I know it's a long shot, but maybe I should consider it.

Anyway, before today I was not sure I wanted to sell it. But now I have another bass in mind I'd like.
  20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    SR700 at Musiciansfriend goes for $750, new. Knock 15% off that immediately as that's how much they wind up selling it for to anyone who isn't an idiot, because they'll always go down 15%. They have 15% off sales every other week too, for people who don't like to haggle.

Price of the bass brand new, with warranty and easy exchange is $636.

Know that, and then price it as you want accordingly. That bass isn't in the greatest deman (not a P, a Jazz, Stingray, etc.), so I'd safely say you have to knock off at the very least another $150, which leaves you roughly around $475. I'd list it at that, but I wouldn't be hopeful. You might get lucky though. If it doesn't go out the door at that, I'd drop $25 every other week until it did go.

People are not looking to make you happy though. They're looking to make themselves happy. I had an SX Les Paul guitar on craigslist last week. I paid around $160 new, and it was absolute mint condition. Including a great setup. Listed it for $125. Got offered $100, and took it. Today, some asshat emailed me (didn't take the post down yet) asking if I'd take $45. I thought that stuff didn't bug me anymore, but it did. At least I just deleted it this time, as opposed to write them back. Wanted to say, "Write me 50 good reasons why I should sell you this "like new" $160 guitar that I listed for $125, for $45, and then I'll do it." Or, "Tell ya what. I'll give it to you for free. Meet me at _ _ _ _ ." But I didn't.
  21. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products