How to fix grounding issue.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Garrett151, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Garrett151

Garrett151 Supporting Member

Hey guys,
    My Jazz bass buzzes when I'm not touching any of the metal on it. I know this is a fairly common problem. What do I need to do to fix this? Thanks!
  2. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

It's normal, there is no fix.
  3. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Yes,... and no!

Search "Jazz Bass Shielding Tutorial" here on tb. Doing a comprehensive shielding job can greatly reduce that noise!
  4. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

No. Shielding is for RF noise, not 60hz hum. Worthwhile to shield your bass but most are at least paint shielded now and experts agree shield paint is just as effective.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scotch

Disclosures:
    Well, I've personally copper shielded about half a dozen basses over the past few months. In each case, the the noise was at least 90% reduced when not grounding your body to the instrument via the bridge ground. I'm not the only person with this experience. Check the thread- it works! :)
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

That bass needs to be shielded, if you get a hum when not touching metal/strings/bridge and it stops when you do it is a shielding issue. A proper shielding job will remove the hum.

If you touch metal/strings/bridge and the noise gets louder it is a grounding issue.
  8. scotch

Disclosures:
    Exactly!
  9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Yes. And a hum that goes away when you touch metal is NOT a 60hz hum. It is caused by RF interference due to a lack of proper shielding and grounding.

It is amazing how many people misunderstand this.....even experienced luthiers.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If I had a nickel for every tech I have met that thinks the hum cannot be removed I would be a wealthy man, and from what I have read on TB it isn't just a local problem with techs.

I once had a fellow, who is Fender Gold Level tech certified, try to "inform" me about the static electricity pop my Stingray was getting along with nasty ground hum couldn't be removed, and that it was a common problem. He went on to describe how Les Pauls are famous for doing it and you cannot do anything for it.

I laughed my way right out the door... never took any kind of work there again, I try to avoid even buying anything there...
  11. guy n. cognito

There isn't a tech in Nashville that understands proper shielding. World-class techs........
  12. calebbarton

calebbarton

Disclosures:
    Manufacturing: Pedals, Cables, Instruments.
    Hey lets complain loudly about techs some more.
  13. scotch

Disclosures:
    Point 'em my way! I do repairs, set-ups, mods, etc as a side-business. ..done a couple of shielding jobs over the past two weeks for fellow touring colleagues. I get it! Just did a '69 Jazz for a bandmate too (it already was modded and had pots replaced as well as a refin)- knocked out the "hands off buzz" almost completely!
  14. Garrett151

Garrett151 Supporting Member

Ooooooohhhh that makes sense. Alright I was planning on shielding it anyway. Thanks guys.
  15. guy n. cognito

Believe me, they wouldn't listen. One of those techs (rhymes with Laser) absolutely refused to do the work, so far as to send me away with my bass in hand. So, I did the work myself, and took it back to him. I demonstrated to him how the hum he had directly and personally witnessed was gone, and I showed him the shielding and star grounding that I had performed. He looked briefly, said "you've ruined the collector's value of this bass (it was a Lakland Skyline DJ5)", handed it back to me and walked out.