How to get a fatter tone from my G string?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dirk Rockbottom, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Dirk Rockbottom

Dirk Rockbottom

New strings always sound sound a little too brassy, but even after time, I struggle with getting a beefier or "fatter" tone out of my G string.

Are there any effects pedals that would fatten up the highs a little without making the lower strings too muddy?

Thanks,
    Dirk
  2. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Fuzzrocious BDPG
    EHX POG

Or just play the hell out of a new set of strings for a couple days straight.
  3. davidjackson

davidjackson

A compressor might level things out a bit but, to be honest, I never found a G string I was happy with until I switched to heavy flatwounds - initially Rotosounds but now La Bella's.
  4. Duckwater

Duckwater

Try a pure nickel G string, and if that isn't fat enough try a GHS Precision flat G string.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

that's not about effects, that's about proper setup of the instrument.
  7. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

I would recommend trying one of the compressors that is known for thickening/fattening your tone (tons of threads on this). One of the main reasons why I rarely use a compressor is because I don't like the fact that they tend to fatten up my D and G strings, whereas I like them to keep a bit "stringier" tone on those -- but that sounds like it's what you are looking for.
  8. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Flats can help if you like that sound. But some basses just have a thin sounding G, especially on the lower frets. A jazz with both pickups all the way up will tend to sound that way, as you need the mids to thicken up the sound. I've found that a decent P bass has the thickest and most consistent sounding G for me.
  9. interp

interp Gold Supporting Member

Effects pedals are the last thing you should look at to resolve a tone-related issue.

First learn to produce a good basic tone with the chain: fingers>strings>pickups>amp>speaker>ear. Tweak those factors until you get a tone that you can build on. Then use pedals (if you must) to enhance or shape the tone you're looking for.

Very few people have the patience to do this.

In your specific case I would recommend first looking at string type/gauge/tension, pickup type/output/height, pickup combinations, right hand technique, EQ setting on the bass, EQ setting on the amp, and cabinet/speaker design and performance features.

If none of that gives you what you want, THEN start looking at pedals.

Just my $.02 worth.
  10. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I was having a similar issue. I typically use medium gauge strings, where the G is .045 gauge. The last set of strings I ordered, I got medium gauge but asked for a .050 for the G. It made a heck of a difference. No more "twangy" sounding G.
  11. Dirk Rockbottom

Dirk Rockbottom

Yeah, I use D'Addario Chrome flats with a .50 gauge G but I just had a setup and my Luthier recommended putting a new set on. Probably should have kept the old ones.
  12. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

+1.

I would add the clarification that after poor physical setup, "smiley face EQ" is probably the most common cause of this complaint, and I'm not just referring to the position of the knobs.

Bassists often don't realize how much mid scoop or treble emphasis is already baked into their gear when the knobs are at noon. If you could plug your bass into a good audio interface and a really flat-response studio monitor, you might be surprised to hear how even the G string sounds relative to the other strings.

Contour controls, bright switches, slap switches, "aural enhancers", two-band boost-only EQ on active basses, Sansamps with two-band EQ like the BDDI, modern cabs with piezo tweeters and a simplified crossover, etc., can all contribute to a snappy sounding, out-of-balance G string.

Even old-school gear can be a major contributor. For instance, all heads and preamps that use a Fender-style tone stack (most non-Ampeg tube heads, Alembic F1-X, SWR, Mesa products like the Walkabout, etc.) tend to have a scoop and a pretty major treble boost when the tone controls are straight up.

The closest thing to a flat response from the original Fender circuit comes when the mids are dimed, and the bass and treble controls are rolled back quite heavily. That's not the way most of us run our amps...
  13. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

I would try the bigger gauge G string first and, as gregman said, play the hell out of it. Might do the trick for you.
  14. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    + 1

Soooo many other factors at play here besides just the string. Always try tweaking the gear you have before jumping to something like an effect purchase.
  15. Duckwater

Duckwater

+1