How to get a good Slap tone from my Rig.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by amusicalperson, Jan 18, 2014.

1. amusicalperson

amusicalperson

Alright, here's what I'm working with. An American 2012 Jazz Bass (wired with stack knobs instead of the standard VVT setup) with Seymour Duncan Antiquities and a 1975 Ampeg V4B with a matching 4x12 cab. No matter what I do I cannot get a good slap tone out of this thing. Which frustrates me because a lot of people say the Jazz bass is one of the best slap basses out there (even though I beg to differ, to me that award goes to the Music Man). And several people say they get perfectly good slap tones out of Ampegs. And I know Technique has a lot to do with it as well, and I know it's not that (not that I have flawless technique) but if I slap on another bass through another rig it'll sound fine. As far as slap tone goes I'd just like a good standard slap tone like this would perfect:

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.
  2. Connormac123456

Connormac123456

One good way to start is cudding the mids and boosting the bass and highs for that kind of scooped slap sound which is very common among slap bass players. With the Ampeg try selecting a lower midrange frequency and cut that, and hit the ultra low switch while boosting the bass.
  3. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

In my opinion and experience I never got a really good slap tone trough the Ampeg amp, and I tried several preamps.
    It's different in terms of speakers, they sound very good for almost every things, try your cab and your jazz bass with a different amp/pre, I'm sure you'll notice big time differences.
    Another thing to do is to start with a super neutral tone on the head and see how you can improve it, also if I think that amp and the cab is not the best fit for a modern Slap tone. The 2X12 works on a different frequency field compared to a 10" cab, you can handle a good slap tone with one of the newest 1x12 cabinet on the market now, but 2x12 is far away from a 1x10, 2x10 or 4x10 or even a 1x12.
    Another thing, when you use different bass on different rig never compare with your staff, basses are always different from each other; it's different and it's ok when you try your bass on a different rig, but not different bass on different rig, isn't not goo in terms of comparison.
    Cheers.

www.enricogaletta.com
    on youtube
    on twitter
    study with me