How to get a Lemmy like tone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MOTORHEADBANGER, Jan 27, 2009.

1. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a Real Tomato Supporting Member

My band is covering a few Motorhead songs and I want to try to go for an authentic tone. I am using a P bass and a head with 4 band eq so I am not sure how far I can go to get a Lemmy like tone. Any ideas?

2. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Get a Ric and play through a marshall stack.

3. Dertygen

Dertygen

Mid the Bass
    Full boost the Mid's & Treble
    Use a pick.
    Follow what sevenyeardown said.

4. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

Bass: turn the tone knob all the way up.
    Amp EQ: bass down, treble up.
    Right hand: pick as hard and as fast as possible!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bohemond

bohemond

Ive heard covers of Motorhead tunes on youtube. If you want to hear real nice renditions of Lemmy's stuff check out a player named Munkybarz on youtube, he uses Gk stuff with a Ric and he nails his tone with it. He is an excellent player.

7. Clammy

Clammy

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    Honestly, without a Ric with high output pickups and a Marshall Super Bass, you won't be able to really get his tone. You can come close, but that's it. You might want to try some sort of distortion pedal.

I can nail his tone by plugging my 76 Ric 4001 (with DiMarzio X2N-B pickup) into my 73 or 74 Super Bass head into my 4x12 and 2x15 cabs, then just EQ it like Lem (bass at 0, most other tone controls at or near 10, volume on 8, plugged into the high channel 1 input). I'm not sure if it's still there, but one of my old bands (FALLOUT) recorded "Stay Clean" for the internet tribute on their official website (www.imotorhead.com). I used my Ric into my Marshall stack, and pretty much nailed Lemmy's tone, IMHO. :D :bassist:

Motorhead is my favourite band, and Lemmy is the reason I ever bought a bass in the first place (being that I started playing guitar 13 years before switching to bass). ;) :bassist:

Cheers!

8. chanson

chanson

With what you're using now, I'd just say try to get an overdrive/fuzz pedal and mess around with it

9. msiner

msiner

First, you need to name your rig something like "Decapitator" or "Mike the Masticator". Then just follow the information from Wikipedia:

10. Qvist

Qvist

Now, this might be a really stupid question, but is the Marshall Super Bass amp really a... bass amp? I mean it's only a 100watts!

11. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Bass 0, Low mids 10, high mids 10, highs 0, thats the way I always do it, and agressive pickups.

12. Kink Rimson

Kink Rimson

I had one for a while... You need to really crank the volume to compete with a loud drummer and guitarist, and then I had to pull a lot of the bass out to stop it farting like hell... End result - Lemmy tone. Sadly not what I was after, although it did sound pretty awesome. I sold it to the guitar player of a heavy stoner band.

13. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    First, you have to get the mole....from there, the rest is cake!

14. wizay

wizay

Lots of JD, and you will get the tone !

15. Qvist

Qvist

So it's a heavy guitar amp?

16. Godbody

Godbody

OP: can you at least borrow someone's jazz-style bass? I know the P is supposed to fit into any type of music, but you're just not gonna get close in this instance. Any jazz-style with the bridge pickup solo'd will give you a big leg up.

I play Motorhead covers on my Jag, and get reasonably close. The preamp helps, of course.

All the earlier advice about maxing midrange, using a pick, and the wikipedia exerpt are great advice.

17. jasongil1

jasongil1

Glue two cocopuffs to the side of your handlebar mustache and the rest is easy.

18. Moloch666

Moloch666

A cheap TS9/TS808 clone can be dialled in for Lemmy-tone-in-a-box or wait for Mr. Dunwich to release the proposed MURDER TWO pedal. :D

19. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Yes it is a bass amp. That is a big part of his sound.
    A 100 watt tube amp pushed hard with 4 15's and 4 12's is stupid loud.

20. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Oh, and if any concert-goers leave the venue still with full sense of hearing, then the covers weren't performed loud enough. A Motörhead concert should reduce one's sense of hearing by about 30%.

21. thunderbird66

thunderbird66

I've covered "orgasmatron", "no voices in the sky" & "I got mine". My bass's have active emg p/j configuration. Front pick up off ( jazz pu bridge on only) then thru my digitech pedal i used the distortion settings. "Orgasmatron" i used the octave effect also. All were eq'd with the bass at 0, mids up & treble up on my digitech bp200 ( amp settings i didn't touch ). Worked out great. Amp at the time was amp svt3 pro series with 4 10" cab. Might not be exact lemmy tone but the sound overall in the band mix was sick!