1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How to get a punchy sound on bass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Joey77, May 15, 2011.

1. Joey77

Joey77

Does anyone know how I could get a punchy sound out my bass but yet also clear enough to cut through?

2. joshwilkesbooth

joshwilkesbooth

Can anyone tell me what the best bass is for metal?

3. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Low mids. Emphasize 'em. For punch, I use rotosound 77's too.
  4. rpsands

rpsands

Link an example of what you want to sound like :)
  5. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

BC Rich Warlock. Next question.
  6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

play closer to the bridge and dig in alittle.
  7. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Uhm... not really... funny in this particular instance. I'm not even going to reward you attempt points.

A lot of this is going to be technique / hand placement. EQ really won't get you "punch", per se. Good cabs help, though there's no hard and fast rule that xx type of cab is punchier than yy.

The above is in my limited experience. Also, for me, rounds seem to get me more punch than flats. But, YMMV, and I'm sure someone has a bass that punches gorillas in the face with flats.
  8. gumtownbassman

gumtownbassman Supporting Member

New strings and hard picks.

What sort of punchy? To me that would be using the likes of an active bass through an Ampeg SVT amp..
  9. gumtownbassman

???:rollno:
  10. Joey77

Joey77

alright thnks guys but what did u mean about dig in a little pacojas? Also the sort of punchy tht I like is like duff mckagan (back in gnr days) or flea or even geddy lee's present sound. :)
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Give us your definition of "punchy." As rpsands said, give us a link to a sample. Otherwise, nothing you read here will have any meaning whatsoever.
  12. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Not sure if you realized, but that was a sarcastic comment to a sarcastic "best bass for metal" question, not the OP's punchiness query.
  13. Joey77

Joey77

14. gumtownbassman

15. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    You realize a lot of that is kick drum, right?
  16. gumtownbassman

Yeah I know :smug:
  17. Russell L

Russell L

Aw, I know what you mean---punchy. Well, I had it tonight running the 15" in my Trace Elliot GP7 combo as an extra speaker for my Markbass 121H combo. The best sound I had all night was with the Little Mark II amp set flat while playing my '88 Jazz Bass Special only on the Precision pickup. (Ya'll stop and try to imagine that set-up, think about it). What I think of as punchy has only a moderate amount of lows below 100Hz, or so. On my Trace amp one of the sliders is 100z, and it's the one I boost, not the 50z beside it. I leave it flat. On other amps, it's the knob labelled "Low Mids" that gets used to get punch, but the frequency varies from amp to amp. For instance, I can't get 100z anywhere on my LMII, unless it's caught somewhere in the shape filters (VLE and VPF). Low mid knob is centered at 360Hz. Got to admit, that old inexpensive JB Special has some punch of its own, so you never know if it's the instrument you're playing that is what's giving you punch, or keeping you from getting it.

Everybody wants punch. As a general rule, I'd say start flat and bump up whatever you have for Low Mid, and see what you get (maybe 2:00 on an active knob). Maybe add to that only half as much Low. The High Mids and Highs might be distracting, so you might wanna drop some of them a tad. Besides, when you get through with finding your punch, you will have to begin seeing how the heck to figure your philosophy of how you want your Highs.

About the best I can tell ya.
  18. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

When I tthink of quality punchy bass tone, GNR definitely is not what comes to mind, but to each his own, I suppose.
  19. Joey77

Joey77

20. PaulMacCnj

PaulMacCnj

A punchy sound to me means....

Use a bolt-on neck bass.
    Use higher tension strings.
    Use a compressor.
    Play closer to the bridge.
    Use a pick.
    Maybe even use flatwound strings.

I say maybe on the flatwounds because you can still get a lot of punch from roundwounds using the other things mentioned.