How to get Louis Johnson Slap Sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bluemoon4655, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Bluemoon4655

Bluemoon4655

Ive played bass solidly for about a year and a half, so Im in no way up to speed with everyone else on this forum on bass terms and stuff, so please excuse my sophomoric approach to trying to describe this.

-So I bought a pretty nice Fender Deluxe active Jazz Bass as my second bass guitar(which I love) when I found out I was pretty good with my Squier. I get a nice slap sound when I turn the preamp up. I have a fender rumble amp. Anyways, I've always wanted to get the Louis Johnson slap bass sound out of my fender, but havent and I went to guitar center to finally try a Sterling Stingray to see if that would just somehow magically make that nice poppy slap sound Louis Johnson gets. I literally plugged the thing right in and starting slapping after I turned what I think was the tone knob all the way up. Needless to say I was utterly blown away at how I was hearing the Louis Johnson sound I've been trying to achieve at home, and the bass itself played like butter. I was playing on a really nice big amp (dont remember what kind), but it had an amp head and stuff.

My question is, can I get that sound with my Fender if get a nicer amp, or does Sterling make that specifically to be able to achieve that sound because its similar?

Any tips or anything would be great, thanks.
  2. raal

raal

a stingray will get you there for the most part but if you really want the thump the sabre is the way to go. i'm not so familiar with the current ernie ball or sterling offerings but i would guess a HH gives a little more flexiblity over a H.