How to get my interface to sound better?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Tupac, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

Yes, another one of these threads. My Audiobox sounds pretty crappy. Here's a demo with my Ray4. The tone is pretty honky and finger noise-y, I'm thinking of getting a cheap Behringer DI to color my tone up a bit. Other than that, why doesn't it sound as good as this guy's? I have no problem sounding like that with a little compression listening through my amp's headphone port, but when I plug into the Audiobox, it sounds weak and low quality. It's comparable to my laptop's soundcard, which is not a good thing.
  2. longfinger

longfinger

It sounds fine. Don't get a Behringer DI, for what you write of...

All the sound card does is get the analogue sound into the digital realm for your DAW. Then in your DAW, you use the amp simulators, effects, EQ etc, to shape the tone. What you have sounds, like a basic electric bass guitar signal.
  3. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    This guy has a Boss compressor and a sansamp that he runs through. I imagine what you hear in his video isn't his uncolored signal. As dry signals go, yours sounds fine to me. You also have a lot of control to EQ out what you don't like with your bass. If, by "cheap Behringer DI" you mean like a V-Amp, that's one way to go. I love my V-Amp.
  4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1

OP for starters you're comparing two radically different styles of playing. He's really attacking the bass, where you are using normal finger style.

You're also comparing your soloed sound to the sound of a bass in a mix with other instruments and the extensive frequency masking that is going on.

I think you'd be very surprised to hear what his bass sounds like soloed from that song.

And ultimately, as has been mentioned. it's about EQ.

Its not about your interface. Its what you are doing or not doing with your bass.
  5. seamonkey

seamonkey

If the track isn't total crap, you can usually clean things up in the DAW with some added compression, eq, multiband compression, etc.

Waves Bass rider is an interesting plug in, as it acts like a producer riding channel fader. It too can be adjusted to deal with artifacts like finger noise.

In a mix though, finger noise, and other artifacts are usually masked, no problem, louder sounds mask quieter ones.