1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

How to get playing and inspired again?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by baddarryl, Jan 28, 2013.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl

Hi all. For personal reasons I quit playing with a worship team about 2 years ago. I have not since been inspired to play anything but my acoustic in my room since. Well I am starting to get the itch to jam again (but not in worship) and am wondering how to forge the time with being a single dad and a business, blah, blah. I guess it is time to work on my chops and put my name out. Fortunately we have a vibrant scene where I live.

2. gordon5377

gordon5377

Having come from a similar situation allow me to tell you what I did.

My experience is exclusively secular music, which has no relevence but I thought I would share that. I think you will find that having a goal or something to work toward will be the biggest thing. Get back in the groove, get your chops back, put your name out there, network, and start jamming with some folks. Once you do get in with someone and maybe decide to start a project of some kind you will be 'forced' to put the time in and dedicate yourself back to playing. That excitement of getting back out there and making music was usually enough to get me really motivated.

You could also get yourself a little motivation like a new bass, amp, pedal, or something that will get you playing again. Something so you have a vested interest in playing. For me, I recently built my own bass (my first build) and since then I have found myself spending all my spare time sitting and playing. And I can tell that my playing have improved.

Finally, go out and hear some local bands or better yet, go see someone you have always looked up to or admired their playing. Again speaking just for me, I went to see Rush a couple months back and have been totally inspired by a certain bassist's playing. Of course, I will NEVER get to that level, but it was enough to push me to be better at my instrument.

I hope this helps. Again, it worked for me. I really hope it works out for you, and welcome back!

3. baddarryl

baddarryl

OMG you just gave me an excuse to order a G&L! Ha, ha. I just saw Marshall Tucker the other night and that is what got me going. His tone was SICK! Old P and SVT! Oh, yeah, I will be going secular too.

4. carlthegroover

carlthegroover

Maybe some lessons would help, especially in a more group-oriented setting (instead of just one-on-one)? That way not only can you hone some skills and theory, you can meet new people in the scene, hear about new events you can go to, get immersed again.

Just a thought.

P.S. The reason why I have come from my 6-month hiatus was because I enrolled in a 8-month bass course at a local music college, and I'm loving it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mushroo

Mushroo

Find talented people to jam with, that's the only thing that has ever really helped me to get inspired & motivated.

7. bluewine

bluewine Banned

What do you want to do?

Blue

8. baddarryl

baddarryl

Either southern rock, classic rock or 90's and prog metal. I know some funk guys I could get in with too. I would really only have time to jam maybe twice a week and play out once a month. Something like that.

9. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Get your chops back & get your name back out there.

Your absence has only been 2 years. I hadn't played for 10+ years before I decided to get back into it. I practiced at home a lot. I gathered a ton if courage to post a CL ad, clearly disclosing that I hadn't played in a long time and provided my age, in case that would be a factor.

I was very surprised at the number of replies I got. I met and jammed with a few of them. I was so nervous that I would not have been up to speed. I was shocked that I really hadn't lost much at all. I wasn't bad at all, if I say so myself.

At that time, nothing really materialized or clicked with those musicians, but I'll probably try again sometime.

10. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Go se a kick ass metal concert!

11. j0616bass

j0616bass

+1 for the lessons suggestion. Try specifically taking them concentrating on a different style than you normally play, even if you don't intend on pursuing playing that style in a band setting. I took some jazz lessons a few years ago and it really opened up some ideas and creative inspiration when playing my regular rock gigs. It really opened up the fretboard for me.

12. baddarryl

baddarryl

Ha, just got tickets for Rush on May 3 and Opeth on May 5!

13. carlthegroover

carlthegroover

Agreed. Sorry for bringing my music college again, but they kinda force students to try different styles of music in the group sessions (which are also a must in the curriculum) to promote more playing versatility in their students. I can't wait to learn to play some jazz, actually.

I guess they were kind of fed up with all those wannabe screamo-metal student bands they tend to have in the early 2000's.