How to get that vicious Hardcore Punk/Powerviolence bass sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gupjek, Oct 27, 2012.

1. gupjek

gupjek

Any idea how to get to a bass sound like here:
    http://www.deezer.com/de/track/13002442

Perhaps a guitar pedal? A metal fuzz maybe?

You can hear a similiar bass sound in quite a lot of the current hardcore punk bands, so I guess it's an "off the rack"-thing.

Another example would be Shaved Women:

And what would be a good way to fatten up a bass-weak guitar pedal so it'll work well with bass?
    Plug in a equalizer before/after the pedal?
    Or maybe use a Boss LS-2 to get a mix of the dry bass signal + guitar pedal distortion/od/fuzz?
  2. spaz21387

spaz21387

sounds like a rat to me!
  3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

+1. Rat plus some bass boost after (at the amp or using an EQ pedal).
  4. gricko

gricko

david wm. sims used to get that thing w/ an old rat and either 800rb or svt.
    i get to that place with aggressive fingers, fresh roundwounds and svt. if svt is not available sansamp does the job.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

The Digitech Bass Driver has a Rattish setting that can probably be tweaked (tone and blend knobs) to get close to what OP is looking for.
  7. BASS_TARD

BASS_TARD

hi gupjek,
    I've been using a RAT for years.
    Lately I've experienced with a TEAM AWESOME FUZZ MACHINE (smallsound/bigsound) and it's very very nice, I love it!.

And for give them more bass I bought an [sfx]BIG BEAUTIFUL BASS, that has as well a volume knob that kicks your bass up and everybody's hearing you in the mix. And I put before the dirt pedal (TAFM-->B3-->MICRO THUMPINATOR).

With these 2 pedals I've experienced a very violent and basstard sound, that played alone you could think that's and extreme sound, but when played with the band a very big smile appears in your face.

and as well the RAT or TURBO RAT does it right, it's a classic.

Hope that could help you.
  8. gupjek

gupjek

Ok, I have to admnit that I've always kind of ignored the Rat, because
    I couldn't find much usefull demos and I can't test it in a local store.
    So Rat, Rat2 and Turbo Rat are all recommendable? What about the Rat Juggernaut?

@Gricko: You mean I could get this kind of sound out of a VT Bass?
    Any setting-suggestions? I've tested the VT Bass once and what I
    remember is that most of the time it sounded a bit "well-behaved"
    in a way or lacked the dirt.

For the TAFM - I'd have to import that pedal. Makes it a bit complicated.
    But I'll keep looking for a used one.

It seems that I could get a 2nd hand Digitech Bass Driver for little money
    (well, a brand new one is pretty affordable as well), so I'll give it a try.
    But I don't quite get it. Does the Morph-nob set the level of the od/distortion
    or is it more like a character-control? I guess blend is for the mix of
    dry-/effect-signal, right?
  9. cioppo

cioppo

For the money I would recommend the Ibanez Phat-hed pd7 overdrive or the Marshall Bluesbreaker. Nice grinding tone for the money. I heard that also a Boss MD-2 can do the work, but I have no experience with that. Personally I prefer the Rat or the Eleven Electrix Xstortion.
  10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Yes to the blend question. The Morph knobs adjusts dirt level: from light OD (min setting) to distortion (noonish) to full-on fuzz (maxed). The Morph, in addition to the blend and tone knobs make for a very flexible pedal.

There are few settings recommendation in the manual: it does a decent RAT and a very good ODB-3 (IMO). The fuzz is also OK, but its not an effect I use a lot (Disclaimer: I don't use a lot of dirt). I got this pedal because I sorta liked the idea of one pedal offering different tonal possibilities while doing an honest job at it for a decent price.

EDIT: of course, nothing beats an original :)
  11. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

That definitely sounds like a Rat. Especially that second clip.

More Rat goodness to check out.
  12. jewbageled

jewbageled

That's a Rat. Specifically a big-box vintage Rat. You could pick one up for under a $100 right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Co-Vintage-Rat-/150930551417?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2324297279

Trust me, grab a Rat and you'll be happy. Young Widows, Circa Survive, Jesus Lizard, and Breather Resist all used this same rat. (Jesus Lizard had a smaller box version, but same circuit). I play in a hardcore/punk band. All you need is a Vintage Big box Rat, and then crank your amp to 11.

Here's another delicious example: http://youtu.be/oCmy8582c4E
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Love the Rat on bass but it needed some low end. I don't use the heavy distortion in my stuff anymore but when I used it, the Rat was steps above IMHO, except for the lack of lows. I used a blend of clean to get it back but that's too inconvenient for me these days. I might check out Fuzzrocious pedals if I were in the market for another one.
  14. Low Sound Love

Low Sound Love

I got a great aggressive sound with a standard Rat 2 by putting a Boss Bass Equalizer after it to bump the bass a bit and mixing in my clean signal with an Xotic X-blender.
  15. gupjek

gupjek

Alright, our local store doesn't have any Rats. It seems to be not that easy
    to get a Vintage Rat in Germany. But at Thomann I can get the Rat2 and the
    Turbo Rat (and the Solo and DeuceTone, but they're a bit pricey) - which one to pick?

And are you really sure the bass player of Scapegoat (the first example) is using a Rat?
    Well, or that I could get a similiar sound with a Rat. If you compare it directly to the
    mentioned songs of Young Widows, Lizard, Shaved Women, etc the Scapegoat-bass sound seems
    just a bit more "brutal". Especially the Young Widows-bass seems to have a bit of a modern
    touch (but anyway: great record, thanks for the tip!). Reminds me just a little of the sound
    of newer distortion pedals (specifically designed for bass guitars).

The Scapegoat-bass has imo a slightly different character. More of an over-the-top overdrive
    than distortion. Does that make any sense? Darnit. I really lack the vocabulary to explain that.
    Ok, maybe I can put it like that: The Scapegoat bass sounds to me more like a much much more
    harsh version (plus more lows) than CREEM's bass:

Maybe more "tubey"(?).

Or is the answer to that sound still the Rat?
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  17. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

Anything Rat-related.

You could order a Rat Tail or grab one from the for sale section. I've recently joined a crust/grind band and powerviolence takes up most of my life. You could use a muff, but for all of the bands mentioned in this thread, a Rat-based pedal would be perfect.
  18. chief redcok

chief redcok

Sounds like this kid just wants a VT bass
  19. Toptube

Toptube

20. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

I change my answer from the plain Rat Tail to a Rat Tail with feedback switch.
  21. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133

I use a Supercollider or a turbo rat in my powerviolence band. The other half of the equation is a lot of cabs and a lot of volume, so don't forget that part.