1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How to get this sound?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by overclockerd, Aug 20, 2013.

1. overclockerd

overclockerd

Hello guys, these days i found a soundtrack of a video game i played when i was a kid and i really liked the bass sound very much (and probably it was created by a computer or a synth) so i want to have this sound if possible, it sounds like playing with a pick and it has a lot of attack but it sounds different to me opposed to hard rock/metal songs, so is there anything special about it? do i need drop tuning,effects, steel strings? i am a bit comfused right now, so i hope you can help me

This is the soundtrack from the game : (The sound i want is more clear after 0:24)

Thanks in advance ;)
  2. Ajak

Ajak

No idea but this is awesome! :D

sorry for not being helpful but I really enjoyed this track.
  3. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

That is most assuredly a synth bass.

You'll never sound as perfect as that, but playing with a pick as you suggest is a good place to start for the attack, and heavy compression will help you get to that mechanically even effect.

If you really want to start sounding synthy start looking into autowahs/envelope filters. A subtle one should get you that Seinfeld effect.
  4. Red Four

Red Four

Sounds like an octave effect would help, too, as there's the high/low sound doubled in that clip. Maybe something that generates a sound one octave higher would create that more "artificial" high sound with the rounder bottom end.

Agree that a pick would help give you some of the "twang" in that sound, and one of the effects callofcthulhu (great user name, BTW) mentions, or maybe even a chorus, would also help, used sparingly.

There may be a bass-synth pedal out there that could get close to this sound all by itself, but I haven't used enough of them to tell.
  5. Ajak

Ajak

I guess that it's played with a pick and doubled with a synth an octave lower. seems like the notes are put in place afterwards but it sounds very much like a bass guitar (the pick thing).
  6. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

I agree on the octave effect, but listen to the breakdown at 1:08, there's no way those are real pick attacks.
  7. Ajak

Ajak

that doesn't sound right I agree. made me that maybe it was a fingered bass with a synth doubling and added percussion on top but I guess I'm just refusing to accept that this is only a synth. :p

but anyway bass lead rules! :D
  8. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

I would go with an octaver, compression, flatwound strings, and a pick.
  9. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

This: http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1148 is what you need. It seems expensive but I'd consider it if you think of how much you can spend on a pedal board.

GR-55 w/ bass pickup about $950

That's what a pedal board, a good power supply and 5-6 nice pedals will cost you and you still don't have access to the synths.

I have one and I really like it but the learning curve is steep. It's not a plug in and play device.
  10. overclockerd

overclockerd

So, from what i've read i should use an octaver, maybe an envelope filter, heavy compression, a pick, flatwound strings (i guess for the tight bottom end, right?) about the 1:08 breakdown that callofcthulhu referred to, it also seems impossible for me to happen, it's like lowering the volume a bit, losing some treble, and gain some mid-bass. So changing from a pick to fingers at that particular time will do the trick, or it's another effect i need?

Thanks for all the answers so far :)
  11. overclockerd

overclockerd

It's not a bad idea, it's also quite expensive but what would anyone expect with so many sound possibilities? i found a video of it on youtube:
    But if it's not a big favor, could you record even 10 seconds of a sound like this on the original post? :bassist:

Thanks!
  12. AndrewFord

AndrewFord

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Line 6, TC Electronics, Yamaha
    A standard pick bass sound that is a preset in almost every synth invented. Don't know if it is possible to duplicate the precision and perfection created by a computer
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Man, why did Devo never write a real song around this? Had to give it to Crash Bandicoot. Lame.

I wouldn't let it being synth bass slow you down even a little. If I were trying to duplicate it on bass, I'd use an analog octave box and maybe a very slight envelope filter, though that's optional. Then turn knobs on your amp till you get a sound similar to that and go for it. And who cares if it's identical or not to that sound, or is a little less tight sounding on a real bass? Maybe it'll be better, too. This is how music evolves and people come up with sounds of their own...by doing things people say they can't do.
  14. jblmusic1994

jblmusic1994

It sounds like a little bit of a envelope filter..? Kinda? (I've never used one, just heard them in videos, etc.) But with less high end and 'popping' kinda noises.

I also think it will help to be on fire.
  15. Lownote38

Lownote38

Use a pick on old roundwound strings (on a Precision Bass) and palm mute all the notes. That will get you close.
  16. overclockerd

overclockerd

I will surely give it a try, because the funny thing is i own a p-bass, my roundwound strings are quite old(at least for me :p ) and i can play with a pick :bassist:
  17. SteC

SteC

It's just a standard midi pick bass, doubled an octave below with a synth as well, yeah. If I was doing it myself I'd wouldn't might not even bother with the synth, just pick hard, and all downstrokes. Palm muting might help. But I'd imagine a decent octave below pedal would get you there if you want the synth sound.

I'm pretty sure it was actually Josh Mancell who did all that stuff, just under the name of Mutato Muzika.

https://soundcloud.com/joshmancell

All his stuff is really great, and there are loads more of those driving pick bass lines. I'm really into all that stuff if it's not obvious.