How to get this sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shibaku, Jan 19, 2014.

1. shibaku

shibaku

Hey guys, I've been having trouble getting the sound I want in my band. I'm in a post-hardcore kindish band and this is the sound i am looking for:

Currently i'm using a squire VM jazz with an Orange Terror bass 500. I'm thinking about selling the amp tough.

I am willing to change amp, bass, strings, whatever is needed. However, I would prefer to add some sort of pedal.

I've been looking at the sans amp bddi, hartke vxl bass attack and the behringer BDI21.

assuming i sell my amp, my total budget would be 500.

thank you in advance.
  2. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

you have to experiment with the equipment you have which i'm sure you've already done. i used to own a terror bass 1000. it sounds like a very clean round sound. roundwound strings are suggested. back off the gain and crank the volume. then very slowly roll on the gain to desired volume level. center all the other settings on the amp. those tone circuts in the orange are very sensitive so make very small adjustments. also try using a very light touch on your bass. i know it looks like most guys who play this style really thrash at their strings but try a light touch and see. also try backing off on the volume controls on the bass also. leave the tone cranked. make very small adjustments at one time and write down exactly what worked and what didn't. then get a second opinion.
  3. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

How is your EQ set, do you have a scooped EQ currently?
  4. tracer03

tracer03

Sounds like Eq'd overdrive to me. It also sounds like the original bass track is using humbuckers, as I hear less single-coil and more growl.

I'm sure others would have some different opinions, but I think I could cop a similar sound with:

Jazz with Dimarzio Ultra Jazz (for the scooped growly sound)
    OD pedal like a Joyo Ultimate Drive (which gets TONS of love in the forums, including me).
    EQ to taste.

I'll try and record a clip of my rig later to see if I can get close...
  5. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Scooped growl??? That's a new one in me...
  6. shibaku

shibaku

I'm not near my amp now but currently the gain is at 1.5, mid is at max, treble is at 6 and bass is at 5. Rolling back my pots on my amp only make it less defined and more muddy but not growly(? xD)

I already tried slight differences but the amp becomes fuzzy really fast at high volumes.
  7. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Boost the mids, new SS rounds, and favor the bridge pickup with low action.
  8. Clouz

and that is exactly why i got rid of my terror bass amp. high volumes makes it muddy. i like a slightly broken up sound but not muddy.
  9. Clouz

this was my solution but is a bit out of your $500 budget.

[​IMG]
  10. shibaku

shibaku

haha yes that's not really an option. I am looking at the ampeg PF350 tough. Any chance you tried it?
  11. Clouz

no but do a search in "amps" section.
  12. pfox14

pfox14

You guys have to be kidding. I can barely hear the bass in this video. Am I going deaf?
  13. shibaku

shibaku

haha, maybe use headphones :p
  14. tracer03

tracer03

"Scooped growl That's a new one in me..."

OK, maybe a 'high' growl. Or....something. Like high mids. Yeah....;)
  15. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

I quote the owner of the video from his comment section: "a shitty15 watt combo amp, seriously man nothing else too it but sans amp" and quite frankly, that's what it sounds like. It may be fun for you to play at home but if you present this sound to a sound guy, he's gonna skin you alive :D
  16. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Minus the sansamp....if you turn your neck pickup off and play all on bridge pickup, roll ur bass on ur eq to 0 or 1, boost ur upper mids and treble, and roll ur tone all the way up combined with the brightest set of rounds u can find ....you can get close to this horrendous sound.
  17. D0rk1n

D0rk1n

Media:
    Albums:
    i think he also used a metal pick.
  18. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

I would pick up a B7K from darkglass. Can hit that tone and many others. And you still would have some scrap left in your pocket.
  19. catgut

catgut

Sounds more like he mic'd the strings real close. If you strive too far for this sound you will pretty much be the guy who is pointed out as not able to EQ his bass properly. A green goblin. You can get clank with mid and highs and then detail in some lows to actually move something more than a bedroom chair. Hard pick, new SS strings, play hard.