1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

how to get ultimate fretless Mwah!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EmmanuelArroyo, Nov 9, 2012.

1. EmmanuelArroyo

EmmanuelArroyo

Hi TBers!

I wanted to see how all of you guys get the most Mwah out of you fretless basses, this includes set-up (With pictures of the basses string height and neck relief and how you got said set up) strings, amps, and sound clips if you have such.

I would also like if you could share how you got such Mwah! (The set up of the bass not the equipment).

Hope to hear from you guys.

2. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

I love fretless.
    My first and second experience is with the same SX jazz bass.
    First I defretted the rosewood neck and filled the slots with JB Weld epoxy.
    Fender tape wound strings.
    Good maou maou, a nice woody sound I liked, but the G string is dead on C and goes wild on E, F, kind of a horn like sound.
    I bought a Mighty Might P neck with an Ebanol fingerboard, a very hard surface.
    Now it has great punchy attack almost like a fretted neck, precise and the sound is much more consistant from string to string and note to note.
    But it has no woody sound to it. :meh:

As for playing, if you have to play your notes quickly, you might as well use a fretted bass.
    To exploit the maou, you have to play slowly, slide up from the flat to your note and hang it there for a beat.
    And have the space to be heard.
    Bill

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Pedulla Buzz

4. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Assuming you have a good setup on your bass and good technique...

Single your bridge pickup, boost approximately 800hz - 1000 hz on your midrange and cut everything else = Mwah.

Lonnybass

5. Register to disable this ad