How to handle Middle of the Night door bashers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Biggbass, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

We've been visited 3 times in the past 5 weeks by what appears (on our security cameras) to be a young teenage boy who is doing the old ring and run routine. No vandalism, just hard banging on the front door and ringing the bell several times and running off into the dark. He is covering his face, head and hands to avoid identification on the cameras.
    12:30am, 1:30am and 3:00am. Most recently last Wed night.
    The kid's pattern is to wait 12 - 18 days and return.

I don't want to harm this kid but I do want it to stop so we can get some much needed sleep. And so far we've tried to show no response/reaction thinking he'll just get bored with us and move on. But my wife is frazzled pretty badly by all of it and is now afraid to stay home alone when I have to play a gig and won't be home till the early hours.

Now, with motion detectors installed around the house to alarm us when he is approaching, we were thinking of trying to surprise him at the front door and pepper spray him, call the sheriff and have him hauled off. But I was told last night by an attorney friend that this is a bad idea and could end up putting me in liability and consumed with legal defense fees.

He suggested motion detection flood lights, although our house has a lot of night time lighting and a street light at the end of our driveway, illuminating the entire front yard and driveway, which hasn't slowed him down yet. Or, with motion detection in play, getting to the door before he starts beating on it and just surprise him with a BOOOOO! Hoping he might crap his pants and never come back.

So, please, fellow musicians who prize peaceful sleep, no absurd ideas or suggestions, no shotgun tactics, no setting up the PA and blasting him with Hendrix...
    any ideas for something logical that I might try to outsmart this kid or win him over from the dark side?
  2. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

I like your original idea, minus the pepper spray. Also put up a "NO TRESSPASSING" sign with the legal code on it; that way you can actually call the cops on him
  3. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

How about hanging a note on your front door that reads something like "We Have You On Camera. Stop Now Or We Will Contact The Police".

Maybe that will scare him off? Hopefully it won't goad him into doing more.
  4. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What?

Totally impractical but contact cement on the front door could be entertaining :bag:

and I'm gone.....
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Perhaps rigging up something like this would work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8

(Possibly NSFW for language)

It's a motion detector rigged to a flash-camera and high-pressure water hose. It's just water...so it'd be hard for him to complain that any actual harm was done.

The difficulty with waiting up for him is obviously that he's got a bit of randomness in his activities. You'd have to stay up all night for a week or so to be likely to catch him.
  7. bassinplace

bassinplace

I would notify the authorities and keep bugging them about it until they do something about it. Become a thorn in their side until they do what they have to just to get you to stop calling them.
  8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I think he'll get bored of it eventually.

We had a kid doing that to my mom's house when I was still living there. It lasted about 4-6 weeks before it stopped.
  9. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

If you're in Florida just shoot him.
    Greg Jones likes this.
  10. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Thanks! after a week of little sleep I needed a good laugh!
    That video is Hilarious.
  11. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Harm is subjective there. I would not even do that, and and according to the letter of the law, it is considered assault, and battery as you are actually getting hit with something, harm or not. What if he falls and slips from the water (direct causation) and cracks his head open?

There must be a way to deal with it without any sort of physical retaliation.
  12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

BOOBY TRAP
    like the green beret john wayne movie
    or return of the jedi. "3PO, tell them you're going to be angry."
  13. David Jayne

David Jayne

14. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

The motion detector activated light is probably the safest and sanest way to go. Any kind of "trap" is likely to get someone hurt or escalate the situation. And if you've got security cameras? Odds are that if this continues there's the possibility that at least ONE TIME this clown will get sloppy and forget to put on his hoodie. Because people who do this sort of thing aren't terribly smart. With his face on camera you can then escalate it to involve law enforcement.
  15. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

First you have to yell, "He's comin' right at us!"
  16. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

It sounds like you own your house and don't rent. If you and your wife are dog people may be a good idea to go to your local animal shelter look for a nice pit bull, German Shepard, rotwieler, etc. Just don't get an attack dog and release the hound on the kid dog bites are common lawsuits. But a big scary dog barking may scare him or let him know your up.

You talked about trying to scare him in a prankster manner you could try and prank the prankster but that's a risk may embarrass him away or make it worse.

You may want to research security stuff like motion cameras that could snap a photo the flash may scare him off. Leaving lights on in your house may make the illusion your still awake. I don't know if you have any suspects of who this kid may be I hope you guys have some luck I don't like strangers going into my space and with all these crazy people out there you gotta be careful.
  17. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

When I lived in NV, I cut out a target from a day on the rifle range, and kept it taped to a window in the car.

It kinda looked like this:

Attached Files:

• 200m.jpg
      200m.jpg
      File size:
      10.2 KB
      Views:
  18. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Contact police and let them know what's going on as this may help them and you if his behavior escalates in the future. You got to be thinking, what's going on in this kids head. He is out at 3:00 in the morning. Where are is parents? Is this happening to other homes in the area? If so, maybe the police would be able to answer that. I feel for you as my wife would also be freaking out if this was happening at our home.

EDIT: Also keep a log to when it happens as it may show some type of predictable pattern. (Like every other Wednesday night).
  19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Please don't use violence to stop the knocking. I like the "No Trespassing" sign and motion sensor light ideas.

-Mike
  20. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I would make sure your insurance is paid and enough to cover anything that happens.

If this kid slips you might be liable.

And don't look at his their face on the vids. Watch the walk etc to see if that's familiar.

Get documentation such as police reports to help cover yourself.
  21. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Make sure he is actually dead too, otherwise you might face charges.