How to hear a bassline properly.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by andrklet, Jan 20, 2014.

1. andrklet

andrklet Guest

That should be easy enough, most of the time. But not always I find. I'm learning bass at 42 years old, with a drummer and a guitar/vocals buddy. Weer doing various rock/grunge covers. A good example of my troubles is a song I'm struggling with these days. Queens of the Stone age, No One Knows.

For me tabs are a good starting point. But to get the rhythm and flow of the bassline I need to listen to it. On the mentioned song, intro and verse are no problems, but when the chorus comes, with full on fuzz, overdrive and what have you, the bass and guitars, to my ears, pretty much blends together, so I'm struggling knowing whats what. Even on my pretty decent stereo system I cant really distinguish the bassline well enough. Are there any tricks to my problem. Would a really good set of headphones help?

Ideally I would have a track with just the bassline...

2. GigJones

GigJones

In all the years I’ve learned songs through recordings, while playing rock and pop in local bands, I find it all depends on the mix.
    Some producers/engineers bury the bass deep within the recording while others put right out in front.

Without an isolated track, the best thing I’ve found is to get a good hi-fi system, bump the bass frequencies up a bit and bring
    the high frequencies down some.

However, there are some recordings that no matter how hard you try, you’ll be guessing. That’s where theory comes in.
    Knowing what the possibilities are, within the realm of the song, and what may fit.

3. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

GigJones is right.
    I use a Tascam BT-1 with lick looper function and beyond that
    theory really helps.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Now somebody tell me why I did not think of adjusting the EQ settings on the stereo my self? :D That would probably help a lot, and i so obvious, I'm almost embarrassed I din´t think of it. Thanks, great tip!

Although, the chorus of No One Knows is so fuzzy and blended I'm not sure the EQ will get me there on that song.

7. andrklet

andrklet Guest

8. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Tascam looks like a sweet little tool. Might have to consider putting it on my "to buy" list, which is quickly growing. Especially since joining TB...

9. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I guess everyones ears are different but just about all I hear is bass. It's actually sad because I tend to "Miss out" on the guitar solos and talented Vocals. Sometimes, to hear the bass track better while I jam to it, I play one octave higher. That way I can hear myself and the original track with ease.

10. Precision101

Precision101

No one knows is a fun song but little fuzzy in the mix. I know he tunes down to C and plays octaves back and forth in a quarter note pattern. Also. Get a tascam for bass.

11. phangtonpower

phangtonpower