1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How to increase sustain?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 440Hz, Nov 18, 2003.

1. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    I tune down to C and am trying to find ways to increase amount of sustain coming outta my bass. Any suggestions?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
  3. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    I really like the bass that i have: '79 Ibanez Musician. Im more a fan of the four-stringers. I am about to add an Aguilar ODB-3 so that may help.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Tune to E? ;)

How about use heavier strings, use a compressor, or an OD pedal?

5. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    well, right now i play .50's and run through a Boss bass overdrive (95% of the time). I like the fact that i have only four strings (traditionalist?) and can still tune down and like the way my bass plays. Maybe a compressor would help. I think that the Aguilar may help.

6. i think heavier strings would do more

7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, heavier strings and a compressor should do it, if not make it a lot better.

8. I don't know how adding a preamp will increase your sustain. It seems more a mechanical issue than an electrical one.

That said, I agree with the others that you should get heavier strings. Maybe the lower 4 strings out of a 5 string set.

Geoff

9. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    my E is a 115 right now. I dont wanna go too much heavier becuase most of the stuff we play is pretty technical. a lower E wouldnt be that bad, but heavier strings in general might be. kind of at a cross-roads...comfort(playing) over quality(sound)

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY

Let me tell ya, if you don't go for heavier gauge(more than .115)you will NEVER have an "E/C" string to talk about. Either raise the hell out of your bridge height & tweak your truss rod accordingly OR learn to deal with "the feel" of manly gauges...

out,
    ~S~

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Damn man, theres no way that I would ever use a .115 B, I use a .135, and it's really tight, even more so than the .130 by far. That's crazy :eek: :D

12. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Soto,

??? What kind of bass do YOU play/use?

For a 34" Ibanez, I would DEFINETLY go with a .125-.130 gauge for "C" tuning. Don't waste your $$$ on pre's, buy a better bass. Hopefully the Ibanez neck can handle the tension, if not, make your guitarist tune to "B" & buy a 5...

~S~

PS: If your music is so "technical", why are you worried about sustain?...

13. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Haha, lol. Everyone I know calls me Soto, your the first person on the board ever to do that.

I have an Ibanez SR (Soundgear) 3005 Prestige. I usually just tune standard like 75% of the time. Maybe drop D also, and ADADG, sometimes (B)CGCF, and my guitarist tunes a full step down on his 7-string, so I tune ADADG, which is ok.

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Take one of these before playing..

[​IMG]

15. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @Soto,

Soto is quicker to type,LOL!

I didn't know if that was the only bass you played(as shown in your "gear" sect).

I have been in many speed/technical/death metal bands, & have tuned to everything under the Sun!

My present band(8yrs)Evoken, is tuned to "A" & it's total doom, so I need ALL the sustain I can get. That's why I posted what I did.

Anyway, there is NO gain without loss...

later,
    ~S~

16. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @Prog,

LMFAO!!!

You rule man!!!.........

~S~

17. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    :D

18. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    how do bands like Entombed and some of these other heavier bands get away with playing a 4 string and tuning down that low?

19. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @440,

Very easily, BIGGER strings...

~S~

20. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Carson says: "YESSSS!!! Size DOES matter, boy!!

[​IMG]