1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How to insert an external effect?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Edword, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Edword

Edword

I want to run an external effect through the vocal channel of my powered mixer, while leaving the other channels dry. My mixer doesn't have FX inserts for each channel. How can I do it?

TIA

2. LiamPodmore

LiamPodmore

As in just on a channel with a mic plugged in?

Swap the lead for an XLR to Jack lead, run the mic direct into the effect, and run a patch/instrument cable from the effect into the channel on the mixer, providing it has a Jack input, if not just get another shorter XLR to jack to go from the effect to the mixer.

Liam

3. Edword

Edword

Sounds like a winner. Thanks!

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

What kind of mixer are we talking about? Some external effects work better with inserts, others can be looped in an Aux.

Riis

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Edword

Edword

It's a Peavey XR 8600 powered mixer.

7. Zooberwerx

Thanks...and what kind of effect? I checked the manual and you're pretty hosed...no inserts and no aux's. Guess they expect you to use the onboard FX bank. Still a nice compact unit!

Riis

8. Edword

Edword

The effect belongs to the singer, can't think of the name. I also have a Behringer UB802 mixer that has an FX send and return, might try to rig something up with that plus the Peavey.

9. Zooberwerx

Re: Peavey mixer. It is what it is. The features are somewhat limited but more than adequate for its designated purpose. The FX are not that bad if balanced correctly. Same holds true for the larger mixers with built-in FX. Our Behringer 2442's FX bank is passable and the Soundcraft's Lexicon bank is fairly impressive.

You could send a line out from the UB802 to the Peavey's power amp in but, since we don't know what your singer has in hand, it may be wasted motion / resources.

Edit: Here's another idea I got after reading the manual:

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/00512560_7.pdf

Look at page 13, description #31. You might be able to run a line from the "main out" to the desired external FX unit and then return the affected signal to the dual "power amp ins". The "main out" is post-eq and designed to drive an auxiliary power amp. If you run this loop as described, the return isolates the the Peavey's internal power amps as slaves. Should work although I would definitely do the trials at very low volume. May have some gain structure issues which would render the project impractical.

Riis

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

that would put the effect on everything, not just the one vocal.

the only option is to put the singer's vocal mic through the effect before it hits the peavey, and that's a lousy option.

11. Zooberwerx

Yeah, that little two watt lightbulb came on about 5 minutes after I posted.

Well, the Behringer board can be the master if desired using the Peavey's internal amps as slaves. Still like to know what the aforementioned FX is. Better be something pretty spectacular give the signal chain required!

Riis

12. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Don't forget you can't run a mic directly into an FX unit unless it has a mic pre.

13. Edword

Edword

I'll let ya know what happens when the band reconvenes.