1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How to install bushes on MIM 70s jazz bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mldavis, Dec 8, 2013.

1. mldavis

mldavis

Hi guys,

Recently bought a second hand MIM 70s jazz bass, got it at a really good price but noticed one of the machine head bushes was missing. I've managed to get hold of a new one, but the bush won't go in the hole.

What's the best way around this?

Thanks
  2. kedo

kedo

I would strip the bass, and fill the control cavity with whatever soil would best support your local flora and/or fauna. Plant at the beginning of spring.

Good luck!
  3. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

beat me to it
  4. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

:D dang Americans making fun of UK lingo again!

Now, you'll need to get a bushing that fits. Maybe the one you have is metric and the mim is inches? Or vice versa? Pull an existing one and measure.

However, once you determine that you have the right ones, you MUST PRESS them in using a clamp. Never bang them in with a hammer.
  5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Just don't shave it for a while :D

What 96tbird said. They don't just fall into place, they have to be pressed in. If it feels like it will almost go in but not quite it is probably the correct size.
  6. mldavis

mldavis

Haha had me thinking for a second then, I take it they're not called "bushes" in the US.

Thanks for the advice guys, sounds as if the one that I've got is too big, as it doesn't even slot in at all.

I'll buy genuine fender ones to be on safe side.

Thanks
  7. kedo

kedo

I think Fender offers the direct replacement. Should drop right in. Good luck!
  8. ponticat

ponticat Gold Supporting Member

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Bushings
  10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

11. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

The same trick is used to install U-joints in a drive shaft. But a vice is used instead of a clamp.

Personally I just tap them out with a dowel rod and the palm of my hand. They are never that difficult to remove, and that is a way over complicated solution to a simple problem. I press them back in with a bar clamp with rubber pads.
  12. ponticat

ponticat Gold Supporting Member

No, I made up the method all by myself.

I've liked the term "gudgeon pin" ever since discovering it in a British racing engine manual. In the U.S. the term is "wrist pin." Gudgeon seems like a name from British satirical writing, ("Mr. Gudgeon could wither a flower garden with the merest twitch of an eyebrow.") Or something like that.
  13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Yeppers, when I started working on Triumph engines all I could get was an official manual from England and it was written in the king's English so it took me a minute to translate it.

As for the machine head bushes, I've always pushed them out with finger pressure, and put them back the same way.