How to isloate my not custom IE's better?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ChaseMorris15, Nov 6, 2012.

1. ChaseMorris15

ChaseMorris15

I have Elite Core/OSP EU4's and I'd like to isolate them more to my ear, and way how?
  2. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

I had my Westone UM56 custom earplugs made and to my door for like $150. Probably the best "musical" investment I've ever made.
  3. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

if you're using the rubber-siliconeish style tips, trash them and get some foam tips. you can get universal foam tips from walmart or target. around $10 will get you 3 sets of tips. i have UE TripleFi 10's and with the silicone tips, the bass response is weak. with foam tips it sounds like i have 2-18's in my head.
  4. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JumboJack

JumboJack Supporting Member

This Stuff.. You can get just the putty at most gun shops..
  7. overbybr

overbybr Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use a set of Westone UM3X IEM's and I've personally found the foam tips don't work well for my ears, thought they may work for a majority of people. I have very different sized ear cannals, and the tips which work best for me are triple flange silicone tips. You can even trim the last flange off with a sharp knife to get a better fit.

Westone has ear-tip kit you can order if you want to try out several options, though you can probably find most of them on Amazon as well for cheaper.

If none of the recommended options are working, you can visit 1964ears.com. They can get you some custom tips that are molded to your ears. You'll have to visit an audiologist to take the mold, but the fit would be much better than the foam tips. They can even take your IEM and bury it in the silicone fitting. The putty link posted above is cool, but if you have an IEM with a removable cable like mine, it takes away a key featur of the IEM.

You can also check out head-fi.org. They have a LOT of information on IEM's, but you'll have to put your audiophile filter on and throw out about half of what they say over there.

Good luck!