How to join a band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mattattrill, Nov 18, 2013.

1. mattattrill

mattattrill

Hey guys new to TB so this is probably posted in the wrong forum.

I need some advice on joining my first band. I've been playing seriously for about a year now and I'm so eager to join a band I just don't know how. I check gumtree almost everyday but not much comes up. Is there any other websites to find a group. Any advice is good advice. Thanks a lot Matt

www.soundcloud.com/mattattrill
  2. JonnyBassman101

JonnyBassman101

If you are from the uk, you should check out joinmyband.co.uk :)
  3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

4. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

you could try a couple of "old school" things:

1. poster or flyer local music stores/music colleges/ etc.

2. definitely go to gigs and meet people. Many times, the audience will be at least 50% other people in bands, who know other people that know someone who needs a bass player...lots of meeting people!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

Craigslist, lots of creepers but I landed a couple sweet gigs in the past
  7. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

I was going to mention CL, but I don't know anybody who has had positive experience finding band members on it. You are one of a few who have said anything positive....
  8. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

I have a somewhat promising audition tonight that came from CL.
  9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Ive found two different band members for two different bands via craigslist. The guitarist for my current band is one of them, and a synth/keys player for a previous band.
    Two of the most creative and least troublesome band members Ive had the pleasure of working with.
    I have, however, auditioned a good handful of flakes and poor musicians that Ive found through Craigslist. I'd say Ive had a success ratio of about 1:5
  10. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Craigslist.
    you have to be patient. it also helps to sort of learn to read between the lines.
    but really be honest about what you want and what possible bands/situations fit your criterion.
    Good Luck!
  11. nojj

nojj Guest

Show up drunk
    Don't know the material
    Tell the BL how things 'should' be
    Bring either a crackly practice amp (or 2 fridges.)
    Tune by ear about 20¢ low
    Tell 'em their tuners are off
    Hit on drummers girlfriend

Then everybody will think you have it goin' on...............
  12. tgriley62

tgriley62

Also let them know that you are on parole, can't cross state lines, can't play any place that serves drinks and that you have no drivers license or transportation
  13. lustersilk

lustersilk

I have found bands and musicians on CL with success. The trick is knowing how to weed out the undesirable situations before hand, so audition time is not wasted.
  14. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

I got in my current band through CL. I moved to Austin on the 1st of this year (literally) and I checked CL almost daily. Took me a few months but finally found a promising add. If you go the CL route I would say look for someone with samples, pics, a website and FB page etc. And if pay is involved I usually see that tacked on to the add too. Get ready if you are going to chase the $$....I was one of six people to audition for my band in a week. I will say, in the Austin CL there are lots of adds for bass players so you might be in a tougher spot there too. Do what some others have said and go to shows and network with other musicians. You never know what you might kick up.
  15. Comrade Momenta

Comrade Momenta

Honestly just keep trying with CL. Pretty much how I found everyone in my band now. You're going to meet a lot of conceited people who think they are Jimi Hendrix reincarnated who just play terrible but will not settle for anything lower than their "standards." Once auditioned for a guitarist wanting to start a cover band. Didn't have anyone else in the group just him. We only played three songs, one of which he actually played wrong. He then asked me to start playing some random music he created on the fly expecting me to know what to play. Didn't go well. I asked him if he wanted to play the three songs again and he flat out said no very rudely. Needless to say it was a complete waste of time but everyone I work with now has been great. No attitudes or nothing. We may not have as high a standard as some of the people I played with in the past, but we're in a band and they are not.
  16. obimark

obimark

CL is hit or miss- but actually you will meet an equal amount OR more flakes/losers at the CLubs... most bands playing out already are going to want someone with more experience than you have... not to say it is impossible, just stating the facts. So you are going to be in a "startup" situation whatever you do at this point.
  17. bolophonic

bolophonic

There are a million ways to find a band to join, but the only way that has worked well for me is networking. Keep your expectations low when you are starting out.
  18. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Craigslist is the default avenue to go. Just be aware that you will find all kinds of flakes and idiots that way. Just be patient, keep sifting through the crap, until you find a good group. They do exist. Most of my groups - including the ones that worked out! - came via CL.

Like Irons said, there's also the old school way - putting up flyers at music stores, going to open mics and networking. Once people start hearing you play, and know who you are, something will open up.
  19. bigboy_78

bigboy_78

Open Mic/Jam Nights. Turn up with your bass and a gigable rig, don’t suck or be an a-hole and something should come up.

Even if you don’t join a band for a while, jam nights give you a chance to play with a band, often with guys of a calibre you normally wouldn’t play with. Guys that might be out of you league as band mates, but are happy for you to sit in at a casual jam.

I’m in 2 bands at the moment that have stemmed from a local jam. So now I am in bands with people I’ve made friends with, which prefer to the CL/Gumtree route of making friend with people you end up in a band with.

You play bass. Once people who need to know, know, you’ll never be looking for a band again. They’ll find you.
  20. wcnewby

wcnewby Supporting Member

I found the band I'm in through CL. Its worked out from my perspective, but theirs was different for a while. See, I had never played with a band when I went to meet them, and I sucked. But, they were patient and I worked hard. It worked...

My music teacher told me something of use. When looking for a band, ignore the ones that don't have any material. The ones that are just goofing around in the garage and have no gigging goals... unless that is what you are looking for. I passed on 2 "bands" because of this.

Also, you should probably ignore the ones that say things like; need a practice room, owning a PA is a plus... real bands have these things.
  21. klokker

klokker

I got my start on CL. It wasn't much and didn't go anywhere. But I met a guy in that band who knew a guy in another band, and finally I found a band that was what I wanted.

If you're a good player (that's relative of course) and aren't a d!ck and hang out with musicians, eventually you'll make the connection your looking for. Give yourself a few years.