1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

How to join two signals into one?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by miggychunt, Jan 6, 2014.

  1. Due to my preferred pedalboard setup and a single input on my amp (SVT 3), I need to join two 1/4 inch cables into one input. Any ideas?
  2. scotch

    scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

    Nov 12, 2006
    Nashville, TN USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
  3. Sponsored by:

    to hide this ad and more.
  4. That sounds good, but I'm looking for a little cheaper option if possible. I could always try using a 1/4 splitter in reverse, but I feel like that would give me some distortion.
  5. scotch

    scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

    Nov 12, 2006
    Nashville, TN USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    A simple passive splitter might work ok, but signal may or may not be the level you expect. Distortion is possible, but my concern would be the stronger output source overwhelming the other.

    Try a 'y cable' solution first- might work depending on the signal sources !
  6. Pilgrim

    Pilgrim Supporting Member

    Chances are that unless the output of both basses is absolutely the same level, you will need an intermediate pedal/switch that has gain adjustment on at least one of the inputs.
  7. waveman


    Sep 25, 2008
    Boss LS-2 or a mini mixer
  8. gidbass

    gidbass Supporting Member

    Aug 5, 2009

    Boss LS-2 will do this.

    Good Luck!
  9. Thanks guys! I'll be shopping around for a mini mixer as the LS2 is a bit too expensive.
  10. gidbass

    gidbass Supporting Member

    Aug 5, 2009
    I see used LS-2's here in the classifieds that go between 50-60, just FYI.

    The LS-2 is a great swiss-army knife type of pedal to have…

    Good Luck!
  11. Hi.

    The cheapest is a DIY passive mixer.
    Distortion is impossible with modern resistors.

    You can use a rotary switch with diffferent resistor combinations for different mixing ratios.

    If You can reuse something as the box, the resistors, jacks (/cords+plugs) and the rotary switch should be around $15.

    The input of the SVT should be sensitive enough not to cause any problems with the signal strength.

    A mini mixer would be a much better choice, even though a bit more expensive.

  12. P Town

    P Town

    Dec 7, 2011
    I have no personal experience with them, but other TB members have mentioned products that are sold under the brand name "Rolls", and if you check their product lineup, you may find something to suit your requirements.
  13. Munjibunga

    Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

    May 6, 2000
    Groom Lake, NV
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  14. I was going to suggest this exactly, but you'd be better off using a blend pot, and you could use an Lm741 opamp wired inverting with a 100k pot in parallel to use as a gain stage post-mix. Wouldn't be passive, but then you could just use it in pedal form. Pedals being what others are suggesting of course.
  15. RobbieK


    Jun 14, 2003
    The blend pot is a good idea, I'd use an emg blend pot and three jacks in a little box. Or wire a dual gang 25KB (linear) pot like this:


    If your bass is passive, and all your pedals are tru-bypass, however, this won't work well.

    You could also make a Y-lead with a couple of resistors in the plugs. You could make one from scratch or mod one from a store. A couple of 10K resistors will work for 99% of pedals. The resistors go in series with the signal from each chain.
  16. JackTheRipper

    JackTheRipper Supporting Member

    Mar 5, 2008
    Escondido, CA
    I've been using one of these cheap Nady 4-channel mixers for my keyboards and it works ok with no noticeable noise:



Share This Page