1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How to KEEP your Roscoe

Discussion in 'Roscoe Basses' started by dataBASS5, Apr 30, 2008.

?

What will YOU be doing with your Economic Stimulus Check?

1. Buy MORE GEAR!

24 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Pay down debt

14 vote(s)
    26.9%
  3. Start my $1000 buffer

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Stash it in my emergency fund

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. dataBASS5

dataBASS5

Fellow Roscoeheads, lend me your eyeballs! Who here feels higher-than-gas about the supposed "recession" our talking heads keep babbling about?

While crusing CL (some of the ads sound desperate) and noticing all the TB gear for sale to make ends meet, I thought it responsible to provide some insight gained in my professional life.

What are the biggest buildings in YOUR downtown? Yup, banks and insurance companies. See, I knew that and I haven't even been to your city. Now, wouldn't it be great if someone told you what they don't want you to know?

Here's how to keep your Roscoe & other sundry gear in your arsenal:

1) Spend less than you make. If all your earnings go toward living expenses, you'll never have extra to sock away or take care of incidentals. Sounds simple, but this is where it is easiest to get hung up.

2) Don't finance the difference between the gear you want and the gear you can afford. There's freedom in not owing your life away to Visa/MasterCard/Amex.

3) Save $50 each paycheck, even if that means paying late on the light bill. This develops the habit of saving. Then in 6 months, give yourself a RAISE and save $100 each paycheck.

The exact figure is less important than developing the ACTION, pick a number that's comfy and stick to it! Setting unrealistic goals will only lead to frustration--which is the fastest way to get back to selling your gear to pay bills.

Why am I telling you to save like crazy? Here's why, steps #4 & #5!

4) You'll quickly come to a place (about $500 for singles, $1000 for marrieds) where you have a buffer between YOU and "real" life! Imagine what that extra cash would do for your stress level (and/or marriage) RIGHT NOW--trust me, it'll feel the same when you reach that point in a few months! Having a pile of cash feels good--being emotional beings, you'll want to continue paying yourself FIRST!

5) Grow your buffer into an EMERGENCY FUND. This is 3 to 6 months worth of expenses. Note: expenses, not income. Don't be intimidated. This doesn't have to be an overnight thing, it is to prepare you for the unexpected.

Your personal economy is up to you. If you are out of debt and have money in the bank, then the media can talk up a storm about a recession, but you won’t feel it. If you have a paid-for house, who cares if foreclosure rates are up? YOU are all right, and your basses safe in the closet.

Most importantly remember that most people don't PLAN to FAIL, they only FAIL to PLAN. Roscoe fans, I don't know about you but if I don't write something down, it doesn't get done. WRITE OUT YOUR PLAN RIGHT NOW. Keep it visible, refer to it often.

Procrastination is the only thing in your way now. Get out there and keep what you have already and enjoy! :bassist:
  2. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Off topic, but stickied.

Excellent advice, I will attempt to heed it.
  3. sha975

sha975

+1 great advice!
  4. jzbass6

jzbass6 One Nation Under A Groove Supporting Member

+1, I've used a lot of the methods mentioned and they have served me well through the years.
  5. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Excellent advice. Everyone on Talkbass needs to read this.
  6. dataBASS5

dataBASS5

Hey Gard, thanks for the sticky! I wasn't expecting that.

My apologies to all if this was off topic. I'm constantly ramped up and excited about this mentality during my day and can't turn it on and off.

You can't be around me too long before I start talking about things I'm passionate about, my family, saving more, playing bass. Love the life you have, enjoy the gear you've got.

I think the trick is best summed up by the artist below:
    "It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got." - Sheryl Crow"
  7. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

Yeah, back in the early 80s when Sheryl and I were dating, she was anything but settled. I used those exact words when she was going through the whole "Grass is Greener on the Other Side" issue in her life. When we met back up in the 90s at a party, she basically told me she blew it with our relationship. I coldly agreed with her and plus I was married, but I didn't tell her that at the time to rub more salt into her wounds.
  8. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Wow...not only do you look and smell funny, you actually ARE funny sometimes.

:D
  9. Rebop

Rebop Supporting Member

Good advice. My Roscoe is still for sale, however.
  10. NJL

NJL

unfortunately, i still have to sell mine. :( the day is coming closer and closer..
  11. dataBASS5

dataBASS5

Rebop & NJL, HANG IN THERE!

There is still much to be excited about. Perhaps the next Roscoe will be the one you keep? :hyper:
  12. youngs

youngs

Buy more Roscoes!!
    I don't finance anything so I am still okay.
  13. NJL

NJL

thanks! :) i also believe that for every negative thing in life, you can pull out two positives... but sometimes you gotta dig deep.

i'm actually paying down debt so one day i can buy what i please and yes, i'll get another Roscoe for sure!!
  14. T. B. Player

T. B. Player Gold Supporting Member

Dude - can I copy this and put it on one of my blogs? I now work for a company that helps schools with financial management and this is a great succinct synopsis of what people need to do.

The only other thing I'd add is to tithe. This sounds like I'm bringing religion into it, but there are enough Roscoe players out there that are into Gospel and playing in their Church groups that this has some merit.

Here's my little story...when I started working for the new company, my wife and I agreed that this was a real gift...so we had to give back. We started small...and took 10% of our net pay and put it on the side...deducting it out of the checking account so we wouldn't spend it on the bills. It's where anything "contributory" comes from.

The Gospel of Matthew says that we'll be saved based on how we share our gifts. All of us share the gift of music with each other and those around us. That is also a gift - so getting rid of the instruments that allow us to share our gift and talent can really be going against what we are called to do!

As for the $$ account, it really is our "Savings" account...in more ways than one. We started doing this four months ago...in that time, I got a bonus, my wife received a raise, and a company asked me to do an onhold marketing production for them. Blessings are indeed returned.

Z
  15. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

I have found the best way to keep your Roscoe is: Do not let Databass5 or Youngs know that you have one. :eek:

No other reason than they may try to buy it!
  16. youngs

youngs

Bro that's too cruel. I NEED THEM!!!!!
  17. svoncampe

svoncampe

Dude - can I copy this and put it on one of my blogs? I now work for a company that helps schools with financial management and this is a great succinct synopsis of what people need to do.

The only other thing I'd add is to tithe. This sounds like I'm bringing religion into it, but there are enough Roscoe players out there that are into Gospel and playing in their Church groups that this has some merit.

Here's my little story...when I started working for the new company, my wife and I agreed that this was a real gift...so we had to give back. We started small...and took 10% of our net pay and put it on the side...deducting it out of the checking account so we wouldn't spend it on the bills. It's where anything "contributory" comes from.

The Gospel of Matthew says that we'll be saved based on how we share our gifts. All of us share the gift of music with each other and those around us. That is also a gift - so getting rid of the instruments that allow us to share our gift and talent can really be going against what we are called to do!

As for the $$ account, it really is our "Savings" account...in more ways than one. We started doing this four months ago...in that time, I got a bonus, my wife received a raise, and a company asked me to do an onhold marketing production for them. Blessings are indeed returned.

Amen!
  18. dataBASS5

dataBASS5

Absolutely. You know how these things work, right? Repeat something once, you stole it. Say it a second time, you borrowed the idea. Say it a third time, and people are asking permission to quote you. . . :D

Add this to the list too. Being a good financial steward can be giving to your house of worship or greenpeace. (wait, save the trees on a bass forum!?!) :ninja:

Also, giving back has emotional benefits. Being emotional creatures, feeling good about your $$$ situation will either propel you along your financial game plan or give you the courage to keep on truckin' until you've reached the next mile stone.

No matter what, strive to stay POSITIVE!!!
  19. dataBASS5

dataBASS5

It's true, these are one of the few extravagances I allow myself. . . guilty!!! ;)
  20. CactusmanDoug

CactusmanDoug Supporting Member

Yeah Clint,

Having Data get a sticky in here to coach people on how to keep their Roscoe is kind of like putting Dracula in charge of inventory at the blood bank.