how to learn chord notes?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dredmahawkus, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Does anyone know where I can get charts of all the chords and how to play scales off all the notes? I have been searching the net and cant find anything. I am obviously new and trying to learn where all the notes are.....next I want to learn all the chords runs scales off all the notes. Anyone have any advice on how I go about learning that? any books sites or youtube videos?

2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Incredible Chord Finder - A guide to 1116 guitar chords
    HAL Leonard Publishing

3. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

trying to memorize the notes in all of the chords can be a little daunting at first. perhaps it might be easier to memorize the formulas?

For example:

A major triad is made up of a Root Note, a Major Third, and a Fifth (Perfect fifth to be precise).

A minor triad is made up of a Root Note, a Minor Third, and a Fifth (perfect fifth).

Once you learn where a major/minor third and a perfect fifth are relative to a chord's root note, you can quickly construct all of the major and minor triads.

The other triads to learn are augmented (R,3,#5), diminished (R, b3, b5), Sus2 (R,2,5), Sus4 (R,4,5).

This is going to be enough for you to play most of what you want to play.

Then you move on to chords - 7ths, 9ths, 6s, etc... Of these, the 7th chord is by far the most common unless you're moving into jazz.

Just a different approach. There's lots of different ways to think of music and organize the notes in your brain. Perhaps my suggestion will be one that works for you, perhaps someone else's method will work better...

4. WannaJazz

WannaJazz Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dredmahawkus

Thanks for the advice! I am starting to get the R 3 5 thing like playing a C E G C....I guess I have to keep saying the notes to myself and trying it all over the place.

I jammed around with my friends on guitar playing power chords in the 80s....I sold all my stuff and have'nt played anything for like 20 years. I always loved music and now trying to learn.....dont know why I decided to play bass....but I love it. Theres so much to know its almost overwhelming! I want to take lessons eventually but I have been trying to get a clue....at least get by the beginners stage once I start.I dont want to spend $1000 to learn mary had a little lamb.

7. Dredmahawkus

I have been watching scottbass. I started watching his beginner lessons then he lost me. he went from like how to hold your base to walking bass lines. I need a little bit inbetween that! lol

8. hgiles

hgiles

Are you playing on a 6 string or 5? Do you want to want to play arpeggios or the chord at once?

My suggestion would be learn the most common ones first. I, IV, and V. Lots of others can be substituted back to these.

Here's a I Major 7th:

____|____|_TI_|___
    _MI_|____|____|___
    ____|_DO_|____|___

Here's a IV chord:

_LA_|____|___|___
    ____|_FA_|___|___
    ____|_DO_|___|___

Here's a V chord:

___|____|_TI_|___
    ___|____|____|_SO_
    ___|____|____|_RE_

Learn these first. Then pick up the others. On bass you're gonna be limited on how many notes you use to voice the chord. In some (most) chords you can leave Perfect 5ths out and use that finger to grab a 7th or 6th. In diminished (or half diminished) chords, you can (should) leave out the minor third and voice the root, dim 5th and 7th. It's all hinges on the progression and root movement though.

9. oleskool

oleskool

This seems a better place for you to start. Take it slow, get it close to perfect before moving on.
    http://www.studybass.com/

Chords come from the various scales. There is difference in opinion as to which to learn first. Also spend some time on learning the notes on the fretboard.

10. wcnewby

wcnewby Supporting Member

First learn the pattern for a scale on your neck. One pattern fits all. Then go out and buy one of those little snark tuner things... mkay.

Once you know the pattern, any note you use as a root forms a scale. If you keep the pattern you get the sharps. Ie, you start on G of you low string and do the pattern and you will find A,B,C,D,E,F# by following it.

I use my bass to help remember the sharps. String one on the bass. G 1 sharp string two D two sharps string three A three sharps string 4 E four sharps.

Fat Cows Graze Daily.... F C G D if there is one sharp, it is an F if there are two sharps they are F and C. If there are three, F,C,G and four.... go ahead and guess.

Last, when you put your finger on a G, one string over on the same fret you will always have a C... if there is string there. The neck never ever changes. The patterns are the same wherever you go on it. Use the snark, find the patterns.

And for Christ's sake don't start reading tab

11. Dredmahawkus

Thanks for that site oleskool! I didnt find that one in my travels. looks like just what I was looking for!

12. Dredmahawkus

I have a snark! I am going to practice that!

I am going to learn the right way! I only used tabs once....I learned tom sawyer from start to end the first week I bought the bass...now I am not going to play another song till I am comfortable with all the notes patterns chords ect.

thats what I was starting to do today....learn do ray mi from every note.

13. Kilometers

Kilometers

Do you have an iPhone or iPad? The GuitarToolkit app has replaced every scale/chord reference book I could ever buy. It's unbelievably useful.

Also I don't think tabs are bad at all. They're extremely useful and there's no reason why you cant learn theory and put it to use while learning songs and ideas via tab. Personally I like using guitar pro/tabtoolkit so I can see the sheet music information with the tab under it.

14. hgiles

hgiles

Check out this link. This guy goes over it, but in musical situations those chords don't come in sequence like that, but it should help.

15. Dredmahawkus

yeah I will download that app....I mastered the free version of the learn the first 3 frets of a bass app.

thanks for all the help guys....that really helped alot. I have so much info yet I havent put it all together in my brain yet!

16. wcnewby

wcnewby Supporting Member

I don't want to start one of those notes vs tab wars. I did it once before. Search "sorting notes and tab" I posted that about the same place you are now.

What I have found is that my brain is lazy. If there is tab, I look at it. Then I don't learn anything about where the notes are. Cover them up with tape then never buy a book with tab again. Not if you want to learn your notes.

Why? It is hard, it is boring it sucks. If it was easy everybody would know their notes. It takes commitment and it doesn't happen fast. Keep at it and soon you will know to your fifth fret. Then, go back and play all your stupid easy songs with no open strings. Then play them in a different place on your neck.

When you know your notes and scales you can derive chords from that knowledge.... for example. A major chord is the first, third, and fifth note of any scale. Gmaj is G,B,D. When you know the pattern of your scales it is easy to remember the position of the first third and fifth note. Hence, you will know what to play when the guitar is doing G. Any of those notes will fit because the guitarist makes all of the strings G,B,D to make a Gmaj.

Never fear, there are only 44 different chord constructions, but once you know them and the scales, you have it all. I've been doing it for a year now, and I am not there yet. Some people never get there.

God hates a coward. Do the boring stuff I gaurantee you wont regret having the extra knowledge.

17. Dredmahawkus

I did the tabs and powerchords on guitar 20 years ago when I was 16.....I didnt learn anything...and quit playing . I am trying to do this the right way this time! I have been concentrating on the first 5 frets so much in the last week I didnt even notice how easy the 5-8 fret looks!

like you said the one song I learned from tabs was tom sawyer....and like a beginner never playing bass before I substituded all the 5th frets for open strings to make it easier! I dont want to learn another song till I know what every note in the song is.

18. Dredmahawkus

Is it guitar god toolkit? thats all I found in the app store under guitar tool kit

19. Kilometers

Kilometers

20. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Learning the notes of the chords is surely important, but I think it's good to start with shapes. Learn the different ways to play a major third, a fifth etc. I found it best to learn the notes once I implemented the shapes and saw where my fingers were landing, then you can think "oh sh**, I can play the third of C with an open E string, or the fifth on the same fret, one string lower" etc etc

21. Dredmahawkus

hey that guitartool is just about the same one i downloaded......try guitar god tool...its just about the same.....has a tuner too. and shows the chords.

getting to a B in the 5th to 9th fret area is a little tricky huh?