How to listen to music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Innadi, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Innadi

Innadi

What goes through your head when you are listening to music? Do you try to pick up chord changes, figure out the time signature, or does your mind wander to places? I do enjoy listening to music, especially when something melodic is going on, but when there is an extended solo or a bridge, I start thinking about something else.

So, my question is how do you go about listening to music when you are trying to learn something from it without getting distracted?
  2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

I think the first question is, 'why are you listening to this music'? If it's for enjoyment, then let it take you where it takes you. If you're listening to learn something, pay attention to that element. For me it takes repeated listenings to zero in on what I need to know.
    Do you read a newspaper the same as a novel, the same as a legal contract? Same thing with listening.
  3. ChessTiger

ChessTiger

I listen to the lyrics. How the words were used and the story that is being told.
  4. deeptubes

deeptubes

Depends. e.g. Iron Maiden - basslines; Yngwie - solos; Type O Negative - vocals; Pink Floyd - mood; Slipknot - drumming and overall aggressiveness. However, when I see a band live, I'm often standing with my arms crossed, studying general musicianship. My wife used to ask "Are you having fun?" "Yeah, babe." "But, you're just standing there." " Well, I'm studying and right now you're distracting me." She no longer asks.

If it's an artist or album I am unfamiliar with, I try to listen to it as a whole while making mental notes as to what I would like to focus on next time around. Sometimes, I am in an altered state. When Tool released the album Aenima, I pulled about 5 bong hits, sat down with my headphones on, 18" Tokemaster between the feet, pressed play, and let it go. When it was done, I took the headphones off, and my mind was in awe.
  5. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

If the drummer is really fun I'll focus out everyone but him and imagine what it is hes playing. If in the car, I air drum by doing the double bass kicks with my fingers for some reason, left fingers are toms and snares, and feet are high hats.

If the rythym guitar or bass are fun I focus on them. Im usually in the car so it intales me using my steering wheel as a fret board with my left hand and plucking/thumping/picking my right hand and fingers on my right legs outer pants seem.

VERY rarely Ill like the vocals and the lyrics enough to sing along with the band. I nearly always imagine in my head playing the songs Im listening to in front of everyone I know in a large concert.
  6. ridethespiral

ridethespiral Supporting Member

I just got a a brand new set of Sennheiser HD650's.. Recently how I've been listening to music has been basically staring at the wall into blank space in utter amazement for whole albums before snapping back into reality. I let my mother try them out.. Threw on Led Zeppelin I in flac.. She attempted using her phone for a moment and began to click aimlessly, clearly looking straight through her phone in a daze, uttering lyrics every now and then.
  7. pedroims

pedroims

I only try to pick up chord changes, figure out the time signature, etc. when I am learning a song, 90% of the time I listen music for enjoyment, my mind, soul and body can go anywhere.
  8. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Only Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon allows me that pleasure. I wish I could experience more of it though.
  9. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

As someone said, it depends. Most times i listen to music for entertainment so while i will pay attention to certain more technical aspects of songwriting i guess because its hard to not, i try not to focus on it too much. But i also do play music and write songs and at some point I want to learn things from some songs because I want to try my hand at writing songs like the ones i love. I don't know a lot of theory but usually i'll pretty much analyze every single instrument in the song separately (recently ive been doing that a lot with drums cause i write the beats to my songs with superior drummer but don't play drums so its become important to figure out what i like drums to do and when it should do it, dynamics an all). If i want to take it further, ill play along, try to pick up what is precisely being played so i can then deconstruct it and maybe reconstruct it in a different context so that it becomes not not a rip off, but an inspiration.