How to make block Inlays?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by FunkyMan, Dec 15, 2012.

1. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Hello folks, i have a Mighty Mite Jazz Bass neck, and i'd like to experiment putting some black blocks inlays in it, so any info would be appreciated, i think i will use black acrilic

2. miziomix

miziomix Über on my mind Supporting Member

Hi, I assume the fingerboard is Maple? Is it unfinished? What's the radius? Do you have any previous experience with inlays?

3. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Hi, yes the neck is all maple, finished with oil based poly, the radius is 9-1/2", i don't have any experience doing this, i have a dremel, obviously this is a complex work, but i guess i can take the risk and have fun, it's a cheap neck! Thankyou

4. miziomix

miziomix Über on my mind Supporting Member

Inlays on Maple is rather tricky. The slots have to be perfects because you cannot successfully fill them with saw dust and CA. The fill will get darker than the maple and the result will not be nice. But it can be done. You just need to be very precise. take your time.

For this build I did just that - although my fingerboard was 17" radius and I used wood for the blocks. The link will take you to the right page, then you should read the next two or three, I think.

9.5" radius is a lot of curve. You need to make your block inlays quite a bit thicker than the usual 2mm.

On this thread I elaborate on that point.

Hope this helps. Good luck, have fun.

5. Register to disable this ad