How to mute my zoom B3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by musicman7722, Feb 23, 2014.

1. musicman7722

musicman7722 Supporting Member

I just used my new Zoom B3 out on my first gig last might. The band is ampless so my xlr out is post and goes right to the board. I pressed down and muted the device to tune and lo and behold I was coming out of the mains :help:.

Is there a way to program this to mute the sig out while tuning?

Thanks

Chris
  2. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

Yes,just press the post button in xlr out on B3.Seems like you use the pre button.

In pre mode the xlr out works as a true bypass line.This is the reason that the mute/tune dont work.
  3. musicman7722

musicman7722 Supporting Member

HELP - OK what am I missing. When I have the pre button in the tuner button mutes the signal to the board but there of course is no modified signal to the board. When I push the button out to post I get the pedal effect in the board BUT the tuner mute switch does not turn the signal off to the board. I want my cake and eat it to or to put it this another way, I want the B3 sound into the board and I want to be able to mute it.

Chris
  4. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

I don't have a B3, but on most Zoom pedals, if you press the button, it goes to bypass-so sound still comes out. By holding it down for a few seconds it mutes. Also, the pre/post xlr button should be on post for it to mute. Pre would send the signal to the FOH before it goes to the Zoom unit.
    jfh2112 likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

If the xlr doesn't work as I described, you could always just go to a passive DI box via the Zoom's 1/4 output, then it would mute for sure.
  7. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

My B3 mutes when I send it to the board in post or pre. Just saying.
  8. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

@ OP
    The ONLY way to mute your signal with a XLR connection IS with post button.Period.

I make a very quick video to show you what you can or can't do with a XLR connection.

You dont need a second DI,just press the post button,only for the tuning and then you can do pre again.

See the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEW3fqwiGQM
    Sorry for my English :bag:
  9. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

My b2 mutes when you hold the buttons down...under how to tune it'll be there in the manual
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I found out recently how to mute mine, you hold the tuner button down. Keep holding it after it goes into tuner mode, it will go into silent tuning mode. Voila, silent B3.
    jfh2112 likes this.
  11. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

The B3 also mutes in the same way B2 mutes,but only if you are using the TS outputs or the XLR with the post button enable.In the pre mode,the xlr output always send the signal to console no matter what you push on the B3.My video shows that.:).
  12. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat

This. There are two tuner modes: bypass and mute. You hold down the tuner button for 3 seconds and it mutes the B3 for silent tuning.
    jfh2112 likes this.
  13. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

to repeat...

this only works for the XLR out when the DI is set to "post" mode... in "pre" mode, the signal from the input goes straight through to the XLR and mute feature is not active.

another option is to simply use an external A/B pedal as a mute switch... they're quite inexpensive
    jfh2112 likes this.