1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How to practice?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Karimsamir, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Karimsamir

Karimsamir

Hello, I've been playing the bass for several years now. However, although people think I've been doing well, I always have this feeling that I'm doing it wrong. I tried studying books, playing covers, and even randomly play. But it always come to this problem where I don't know what to do. I feel I want to practice so much but when I start setting up I just don't know what to do. Is there any syllabus or something for technique improvement as well as rhythm improvement because, also, I don't have except a couple of ideas I'm always stuck to when it comes to jamming.

Thank you,
  2. Dogbertday

Dogbertday

I charge $30 for a half hour for answering that question.
  3. Karimsamir

Karimsamir

Well thank you man.. Trust me if it's affordable I would have taken classes
  4. Dogbertday

Dogbertday

Sorry for the smart answer but honestly there's a ton of free material out there. Basically just learn music you love and you'll become the musician you want to be. If it's common stuff you can usually use Google to find an analysis or discussion of the song that'll help with the theory side.

However specific questions are most quickly answered by a teacher. Even if it's only a couple lessons or one every couple months
  5. freatles

freatles

A teacher cannot tell you why you are training...

...and once you know why, then you can start on what to train, and how to
  6. pfox14

pfox14

I play along to records a lot for practice. Makes it more fun and definitely improves my chops. I'm not big on scales and arpeggios.
  7. Karimsamir

Karimsamir

I mean if I want to improve my agility, or slapping, or mutes.. If I want to schedule it so each day I've a couple of hours practicing.. What should be the scenario of practicing.. With metronome, without, what should I do etc..
  8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Why are you bothering to play music?
    Why did you pick bass as your instrument?
    What kind of music do you like to listen to?
    What kind of music did you hear today that you have not heard before?
    What music did you hear today that you have not heard for many years?
    What kind of musicians do you play with?
    When will you perform next?
    What kind of music did you like 5 years ago? 10 years ago?
    Where do you see yourself with your music in 5 years? 10 years?
    What have you heard a bass player do that you can't do?
    What will you do today with your bass that will make you a (slightly) better player tomorrow?
  9. RayMan34

RayMan34

10. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

I've always believed there's no right or wrong way to practice as long as you are playing! Just play. Look up tabs to some of your favorite songs and play along or just make your own basslines.
  11. tleebassist11

tleebassist11 Taylor Lee Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Epifani
    I have always treated practicing similar to working out. I do a 15 min forearm stretch and play a slow chromatic scale to limber up my fingers. I then proceed to do 20 minute intervals.
    20 mins- practicing with metronome
    20 mins- sight reading
    20 mins- ear training. Try goodear.com
    20 mins right hand/left hand technique. Working on muting and string-crossing
    20 mins- grooving. James jamerson book
    20 min- transcription. I will sit down and figure out something Matt Garrison is doing for example and then I will analyze it harmonically.
    My final suggestion would be that if you need some ideas as to what exercises to practice for endurance and stamina then watch the Jaco instructional dvd. Some priceless melodic exercises to try!!!!
  12. ZenG

ZenG

Practise anything you can think of....

Even if you think it's too difficult to play.

Everything from simple finger exercises on up.

As Yoda said:- "there is no try...there is only do".
  13. ronhammant

ronhammant Supporting Member

Mate, get on to Youtube, type in bass lesson and sift through the many different tutorials available from many different teachers and artists, it's a wealth of information. I learn how to practice not how to play, the rule of thumb, practice slowly and get it right, forget about speed!
  14. Icculus

Icculus

Like tleebassist11 said, take your allotted practice time and divide it up into segments. Figure out what it is that you want to get better at, and design your own practice routine. Get a book like Bass Aerobics or Bass Fitness to lay out some exercises. Spend a little time on them, then move on to learning songs/licks/solos from other bassists. Learning songs is a great way to learn theory because you can sort of see into the brain of the bassist that wrote it. You can see how they move over chord changes and what notes in the scale they use to do it… but make sure you challenge yourself a bit with those songs too.
  15. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Qualified +1

In contrast to various wind instruments for example, you can hardly do anything wrong on bass guitar if you follow some simple guidelines. At least if you don't want to end up with carpal tunnel ten years down the line.

An easy-to-play setup that makes it unnecessary to dig in like a monkey is a huge step towards safer bassing. Just saying... pet peeve of mine.
  16. funkybass

funkybass

I disagree 100%. You most certainly can practice wrong. I'd be willing to say a lot of people don't know how to properly practice.
  17. Ferret

Ferret

Practice? Please define - such an odd word. Must be a French word?? :)
  18. LowGrowl

LowGrowl

2 helpfull answers out of lot of BS
  19. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

My routine is practice with the band one day a week. A couple times a month i have "intense" practices at home, and then i have casual practices a couple times a week. Basically i play a bass at least every other day. Practice with the band is pretty self explanatory and it's the only time i normally play with my full rig. When i do the casual practices literally sit on the couch while my daughters watching shrek or whatever and my wife's at work and play without my bass plugged in. That's really more about keeping my hands "in shape" and keeping the muscle memory and so on. When i have "intense" practice i sit down with a bass, my pod hd which is connected to my laptop and headphones and i actually go on YouTube and try to find anything i can worth learning. Mostly lessons with famous flashy players like Wooten and Bailey. Sometimes Scott's bass lessons. But the point of practicing like that is to continue developing. I've been playing 20 years and i still constantly learn new things. I'm pretty open minded with it. For example I play in a hard rock band and might only slap on part of one song on an entire album but i still spend time getting better. Lately I've been trying to get better with sweeping and so on. Another thing i can do at the computer is sight reading. I was a band geek in high school an bass wasn't my first instrument so i can read bass clef and treble clef pretty well. So I'll learn to play just about any sheet music i can find. For example one of the things i did recentl was sit down and learn sheet music for piano for the theme to terminator 2, i can play it two Hand tapping. I'm left handed and play right and found a bass lesson a long time ago that was about mimicking animals so sometimes ill actually look for animal videos. For example ill practice a "trotting" pattern like a horse makes when they run, moose calls, all kinds of fun crazy stuff. You'd be suprised how trying to mimic the sound of a horse running can help improve your right hand
  20. ZenG

ZenG

For rhythm improvement I prefer drumtracks over metronome..

There are so many different types of drumtracks that practising "lock in" is much more effective than with a one-dimensional metronome.

I pick a drumtrack and I will practise loops and riffs and make them up as I go along.

I practise all over the neck switching notes ...to get the diversity...instead of trying to find the closest easiest shortest finger routes.

Sometimes I will pick a simple song and then use the practise session up playing that song in every key possible.

I deliberately challenge myself with all sorts of finger positions.

Sometimes I'll go "Sheehan" and just pick one note over and over for timing.

Playing with a pick is fairly easy......so 90% of my time I practise finger picking without a pick.

Music theory factors in but I don't worry too much about it when I'm playing.........(you can't drive a car down the road while reading the owner's manual at the same time).

There are all kinds of finger/note exercises (and don't forget stretching)........if I run out of those I just make up ones that are difficult to play.

I am always checking my playing style for flaws.

Sometimes I stand in front of a mirror and watch myself play........I often catch myself doing stuff I wasn't aware of.

Then I correct it.

All kinds of ways to practise.

Challenge yourself!!..........:)..............:bassist:

BTW...it doesn't have to be fast to be good...........practising speed playing ALL the time is in my view counterproductive.

Personally I don't spend much time at all trying to sound like someone else (like some famous rock star etc). There are certainly famous riffs that I will noodle with.

I practise "styles" though.