how to prevent skin on fingers splitting?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bennyblu, Jan 14, 2010.

1. bennyblu

bennyblu

How to prevent skin on fingers splitting?-sounds a pathetic question but I have an index finger that keeps splitting just at the side of my nail on a regular basis (takes ages to heal due to gigs and practice).

Anybody any tips?

Thanks

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

As is said around TBOT quite often... you need to grow some thicker skin! ;)

For reals though, maybe an adhesive bandage? Or super glue!

3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Try putting some super glue on your fingertips before you play, oh, and be sure it is good and dry before you touch anything..

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Anything that causes your skin to dry out will split the skin. I know for a fact that in winter (when hands are already dry) if I scrub something with scouring powder and don't wear rubber gloves, I'll get splits pronto! Apparently the powder drys the skin and bingo!

So my solution is lots of hand cream to try to keep your skin soft in the winter time. I find that just the cheapest crap you can find at the bargain stores is plenty good to keep your hands from cracking. But some brands do work better than others.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fuzzy Dustmite

Fuzzy Dustmite

Drink a "lot" of water and as previously mentioned, use lotion. I find that if I don't drink enough water (I tend to drink more diet coke than water), within about three days or so my fingers will split.

Use lotion after each hand washing, and when mine split, I'll either use liquid bandage (which is basically like superglue) to seal it up, or if I have a couple of days before next gig/practice, I'll put Neosporin on it and then do a two band-aid over/around thing on my finger and keep it covered. This tends to both moisturize the skin due to the neosporin ointment, and keep me from bonking it on things which tends to make the split worse.

Then I start chugging the water to keep my body hydrated and after about two days stuff heals and I get back to normal.

7. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

8. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

stop playing bass, or stop being a pansy.

9. paganjack

paganjack

this keeps happening to me too. I drink a ton of water, use lotion and occasionally bandage my fingertips... but I work in a warehouse with boxes a lot, and even with gloves on all day my fingertips still explode.

Playing bass hurts...for about 30 seconds! Then I totally forget about the pain. :bassist: It's about the only time my fingers don't hurt lately.

10. bassplaya614

bassplaya614

You could probably soak your finger in warm water before you play.

Or go Flea style and put super glue wherever it splits.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Silk gloves. I've heard of people doing it. My hands are like leather as it is, so thankfully I don't have to do anything with this, but drinking more water always helps.

12. lowendfriend

lowendfriend Supporting Member

Use Eucerin cream on persistent dry spots when you are not playing. Wash hands well before you do play, as you don't want any of that on the strings.

Super glue works for what do you do, like, NOW, but it pays to take care on a regular basis.

13. bennyblu

bennyblu

Lots of thanks for all the tips and personal accounts-really really helpful.

14. MonkeyG0D

MonkeyG0D

i used to get this a lot on my right hand when playing an upright bass, probably friction from the flat wounds. i tried superglue but i have to say that this just felt horrible and never did that again, my cure for it really was switching to playing electric bass with roundwounds :p not really any help for you though

15. pdubya

pdubya

Before you play,lubricate you fingers with you own earwax and the natural oil around your nose and ears.
    It sounds disgusting but it works

16. SwamiRob

SwamiRob

Yeah must be a real pussy if he keeps on playing despite this been pretty painful :p

17. Rawkabilly

Rawkabilly

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Super glue can fix an already existing crack. This winter I've been using Burt's Bee,s hand salve, and I've had one split in the end of my thumb all winter so far. Truth be told, I think it was before I started using that stuff.

I'm thinking any hand cream with bees wax in it should do the trick. Use it often.

YMMV