How to put some stank on it- Lakland content

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by but_ch, Mar 28, 2014.

1. but_ch

but_ch

A friend of mine has a Lakland 55-63 (I think) that is one of those Willie Weeks prototypes. Basslines dual J, passive. It's too clean and clear for him. I was trying to help him put some "snort" back into it. He also has a 55/94 and loves it. That one can get more aggressive and vintagey sounding when he wants it, and it can dial back to clean if need be. He's running decent pedals, amps, cabs, etc. but the clean of the 55-63 is too clean, too nice to be used live. But he really wants to gig it.

So my question is:

Put a preamp in it? Will that do it? If so, which one? Or just swap pickups? With what? Or both pickups and preamp?

I have experience with Barts and Basslines stuff, but not much else. Can I get some recommendations?

Please keep responses to pickups and electronics. I don't want pedal or amp recommendations. Thanks.

2. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Try raising/lowering the pu's

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:

Dude, I have the same issue with my Squier P modded with active EMG-PAX's. So Im interested to hear this as well. I have wanted to use that bass with my band in a live setting forever, but I could never seem to EQ or anything else for that matter that makes that bass cut the way I want. It SITS in the mix really well, but I cant get it to cut. I am pretty much accepted the fact that I believe I need an onboard pre in it. Like the Aguliar or something aggressive like that. Look forward to hearing what some others have to say about this as well......

4. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

New pups will make the biggest difference. Preamps only give a little bit of colour. If you think your issue can be corrected with proper eq work then a pre is the answer, otherwise its the pups.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Strings an PUP's make the biggest tonal differences.

7. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

I have a 5560 that I just purchased and it has Lindy Fralins and an lh3 preamp.

It has plenty if grind.....

Maybe an LH3 preamp?

8. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

This

9. but_ch

but_ch

Thanks for the replies. He's on the fence as to whether he wants to start throwing pickups at it or just unload it. So if anybody needs a Willie Weeks prototype, with a disgusting amount of Birdseye on the neck, PM user Mark H.