How to remove metal corners on amps/cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sleepy_monkey, Jan 6, 2014.

1. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

I am assuming just pry them off with a chisel or small pry bar? I don't really see a way to get them off without damaging them. They are nailed on with the old split nails.

Thanks!

2. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Cut the head of the nails off with flush side cutters, or grind them off with a dremel.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Look here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/j...ub-part-12-a-1027085/index2.html#post15126761

If you look at the next couple of pages in the tread, there are more details concerning the metal corners.

Wear protection on you eyes. It is easy to have metal bits fly off if the pry bar slips. Sometimes there is rust on the nails which anchors them into the wood. Be patient. If you are doing a restoration, often you can clean the nails and reuse them. Otherwise, vintage corners are available at www.fliptops.net. The replacement nails are not the same.

4. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. beans-on-toast

I forgot to mention, there is a video two posts above the one that I referenced. Some good stuff there.

7. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

Thanks. What is that tool he is using in the pics? I didn't see a video.

8. beans-on-toast

The video is two posts up by xior (Roberto), here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/j...ub-part-12-a-1027085/index2.html#post15126721

You can PM xoir and ask where he got his tools. The bottom tool is a thin putty knife. It prevents the wood underneath from being damaged. The top tool is a small nail puller. A claw on a small hammer would work. The key is to find something thin. Both available at a hardware store.

9. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Here's what I do. Get your hair dryer or other like heat source and heat it up. Then slip a very thin screw driver or like tool underneath and work each section a little at a time. Soon, you'll have an extraction and should be able to reuse the nails and corner. That's what works for me. :cool: