1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How to remove the tuner bushings on a fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davo-London, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Davo-London

Davo-London

Folks I'm replacing the tuners on a pre-CBS bass. But the ring bushings on the front face don't seem to want to be shifted.

Has anyone got any techniques?

Davo

PS: don't moan at me I'm keeping the original tuners!
  2. dtripoli

dtripoli

By "shifted" you mean remove from headstock?
    I got my stubborn bushings out by finding a socket from my tool box that neatly fit into the hole from the back side. Some gentle tapping nudged the bushing right out.
    Can't recall which socket it was; 3/4" maybe?
  3. Davo-London

Davo-London

Cheers

Davo
  4. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

They are a tight fit so get a socket or something the right size and carefully press them out.
  5. RickBlair

RickBlair

You might also want to take a razor blade and run it around the edge of the bushings. If any finish overlapped the edge or adhered itself to the bushings over time you could get a nasty suprise when you drive the bushings out.

Rick B.
  6. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Too true! That happened to me with a banjo tuner bushing. +1 on the socket trick. There's a couple of nice videos with other such tricks on YouTube. Just do a search on removing guitar tuner bushings.
  7. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

WHY CAN'T WE HAVE THIS IN THE STICKIES ALREADY DAMNIT!!!

Once again...

With using only one socket and something to pound it with, You most likely chip the face of the headstock.
    Been there, done that.

Regards
    Sam
  8. johnson79

johnson79

Thanks for the post T-Bird! Great info.