How to repair a bass neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sobemtv, Jan 7, 2013.

1. sobemtv

sobemtv

I bought a neck through eBay. Found the top part of the finger board apart from the neck body.
    The seller may able to re ship another one for me to replace this. But i am think if this is a easy fix task, so that I may have an extra neck for my next project.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1357589450.112003.jpg

2. bassteban

bassteban

There are many far more qualified people here, so hopefully this will just help get their attention, but here's what I might do, based solely on the pic: GENTLY pull the split apart- if it seemed easy to work a goodly amount of glue into it and clamp it securely(try w/o gluing), have at it. The strings, when installed, will tend to pull the split together. I have a pretty fair amount of woodworking experience, mind you- I don't recommend it if you don't feel terribly confident about it, especially if you can just get a return.

3. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Yikes. You can likely inject glue into the crack until it's filled and clamp it. That would, in my opinion, be the only part of that neck that you could trust not to come loose.

4. sobemtv

sobemtv

Thanks all.
    The crack is not bad. I may try to inject the glue.
    And here are the questions
    1) what glue I should use?
    2) how can I inject the glue? I don't want to remove the fingerboard as I do have confident to do that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TinyT

TinyT

Titebond is THE glue when it comes to luthery repairs of this kind ... have used in countless headstock and neck repairs over the last 15 years and, if clamped correctly, will give bonds that are stronger than the wood surrounding the broken area! you can use a syringe to inject the glue or spread it with a small chisel or similar ... clamp (not too tight) for 4-6 hours and don't put the neck under pressure for appr. 24 hours ... after that anything goes :hyper:

have fun ...

7. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    First off, don't do anything to the neck if you're ever hoping to send it back to the person you bought it from. The second you do, it's yours, no matter what falls off it a year from now.

Any wood glue should do. As mentioned, you'd probably want to gently pry it open as far as you can without making it worse or breaking something. It will also tell you how good or bad the rest of the join is on that fretboard.

You can get throwaway glue injectors at Woodcraft or a good hardware store. You can also use a hypo for children's medicine or just push it into place with a flat stick.

The trick is to make sure there's glue covering the entire surface you want joined (something I suspect was the cause of your original problem) so that it smushes out when you clamp it down.

If you're unsure about what you're doing, I'd suggest just doing the exchange and moving on. If the seller tells you not to bother sending the old one back, then you have something to experiment with for free. Good luck.

8. Jawbone

Jawbone

1. inject glue
    2. clamp
    3. wipe off excess with damp rag
    4. wait 24 hours
    5. put back together
    6. play

9. sobemtv

sobemtv

Thanks guys. Great tips.
    Once the seller confirm me no need to return this, then I will start a project to fix it. Thanks again

10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

There are good tips here, but many are incomplete. The first thing I would do would be to get some 320 grit sand paper and work it around in the crack to clear out the old glue that failed.

You want to use a good wood glue like titebond thinned down with a little water so it will wick into the split.

Remove the nut that is already installed, because it will get in your way when trying to clamp it.

build some sort of wooden clamping caul that somewhat fits the radius of the fingerboard and another that fits the contour of the back of the neck. It doesn't have to be perfect, just something that will evenly distribute the clamping pressure, and will protect the wood from any dents left from the clamp.

Clamp it up and let it sit in clamps for a good 48 hours. Give it extra time because the diluted glue will take longer to dry.

11. sobemtv

sobemtv

Hey friends.

Friend of mine got a hair line crack at the back of the neck. Is this easy fix?
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1357615281.496058.jpg