How to restring a Höfner violin bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Redrama, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Redrama

Redrama

So I've had a Höfner ignition for a few years and the strings seem to sound worse, and I have a set of shortscale Pyramid heavy gauge strings lying around that I got for free.

So, as the title says. How do I replace the strings?
  2. Root 5

Root 5

First of all: Be CERTAIN to put a sharp crimp in the string and cut it to length behind this bend! You must do this with Pyramids.
  3. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I don't know if the new Hofners are different, but the older ones really required light gauge strings to prevent problems with the neck. This is why the "Hofner sets" of strings are all quite low tension. I think this is even stated on the Hofner site. When I bought my Club Bass many years ago the neck was warped from having heavy strings installed, so be careful.
  4. Redrama

Redrama

So I figured it out, was so simple that I feel like an idiot for not noticing it immediately. Damn these pyramids feel like sandpaper so I'm switching back to the old ones that came with the bass.

Have any recommendations? Everyone keeps saying daddario chromes but can't find any shortscale ones for sale. So should I just go for the höfner's own beatle bass strings?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Speaking from personal experience, I recommend buy the medium scale ones for a hofner, they fit fine because of the extra length starting from the tailpeice to the bridge.
  7. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Yes, medium scale. Not short scale.

I suggest the La Bella Hofner strings. Either that or rounds. Rounds also sound very good on violin basses.
  8. Redrama

Redrama

Can I still use 045-065-080-100 strings?
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Check the stickies in the TB forum - lots of string installation info available online.

Agreed that you need medium (32") strings. ALL basses of this design, and ALL with floating bridge use strings 2" longer than the scale length.

I also like the Labella Deep Talkin' Flats. My favorites are the .043-.104 set, and they'll fit.
  10. Redrama

Redrama

Are you sure about the mediumsized strings though, because the pyramid schortscale ones were exactly the right size, if not even a bit long.
  11. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

Pyramid is the original maker of Hofner strings. Pyramid is an exception to stating the scale length. Short scale is correct for Pyramid for Hofner.
    Are you using Pyramid round wound, or flat wound strings. Most Hofner players use Pyramid flats or Thomastic-Infeld flat wound strings.
  12. Root 5

Root 5

Very surprised to hear you say this! Pyramid flats are exceptionally smooth.

Pyramid & TI short scale will work on a Hofner; they're longer than GHS & D'Addario, Rotosound & Labella short scale offerings.

Just like Pimpernel said!
  13. Redrama

Redrama

Well, they weren't flats though, some "rock roundwounds" that I got for free. In my opinion they feel like sandpaper compared to the ones that came with the Höfner bass.
  14. gary m

gary m

Ohhhhhhh...that explains it.

If you want to try your hand at Pyramid Gold flats for the Hofner, check this site: www.stringsandbeyond.com

They have the best prices on Pyramid strings that I'm aware of. Good luck! :hyper:
  15. Redrama

Redrama

16. gary m

gary m

These don't appear to be one of the LaBella sets specifically labelled for Hofner basses. I'd say these might be long scale strings which means they'll be too long for your Hofner.

LaBella does make a set just for Hofners, but I don't think the set at the link above is it.
  17. Redrama

Redrama

So, for pyramid strings, the shortscale model will fit a beat bass. But for all other string manufacturers, it's the medium scale ones?

So, the Pyramid Gold Flatwound 040-100s are worth trying?
  18. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Pyramids worth trying? Oh yes. They are great. Pyramid is the same brand as Hofner strings. They come on their high end basses so of course they are worth trying!
  19. Root 5

Root 5

Yes. Thomastik-Infeld Short scale will fit, too.

Labella, Rotosound, D'Addario would require medium scale for your Hofner.

Very much so! They're very fine strings! You need set # 640.
  20. bill reed

bill reed

I use roto 88s on my beatles bass. (med) there also low tension. really suit the sound of the bass, and used my McCartney.
  21. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Oh by the way for the OP. If your considering buying labellas for you Hofner, they make a specific set for "beatle bass" sound nice.
    Here is a link to google shopping jsut so you know what you're looking for:
    https://www.google.com/#q=la bella beatle bass flatwounds&safe=off&tbm=shop

How do pyramids differ from TI's. I have TI's (flats) on my hofner CT (it came with them when I got it on ebay).
    In spite of the sustain block, will the pyramids get that more Hofner-y sound?
    I've read that pyramids are pretty much the KEY to early beatles sound. Is that the case?