1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How to run a 2x12 stereo

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bobdudeman, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Bobdudeman

Bobdudeman

I have a 2x12 cab with a 1960 marshall switch in it. if I switch it to stereo, only one speaker works. mono, both. I'm confused, any suggestions? Thanks, Steve
  2. Bobdudeman

Bobdudeman

I will post a pic
  3. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

Just looked at a pic of the jack plate on the web, are you sure all the drivers work in mono mode? If so then the problem is likely in the jack plate wiring for the multi-impedance / stereo connection.
  4. Bobdudeman

Bobdudeman

pics of the jack. the two left wires go to the left speaker and the two on the right go to the right. i use the 4 ohm jack because me peavey is 4 ohm as well.

Attached Files:

5. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

If all the drivers work in mono mode then the problem is likely an easy and cheap fix.
  6. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

In stereo mode, you have to plug into BOTH sides for both speakers to work.

P.S. - That is a guitar cab, watch your volume and EQ'ing or it will be trashed.
  7. Bobdudeman

Bobdudeman

Yes, both drivers work in mono, only the right in stereo.

Attached Files:

8. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

have you plugged 2 different amps (or a stereo amp) into it? with only one amp connected and in stereo mode you will only get one driver working...

You will need 2 speaker cords.
  9. Bobdudeman

Bobdudeman

I spoke with bag end about the cab. The tec said alot of bass players use them with great results. the drivers are 200 watts each and 8 ohm. i also want to use this with my vox head wich is 4 ohm as well. kinda all around half stack.
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I would imagine that plugging into the right speaker in will allow the right speaker to work. Plugging into the left will enable the left speaker. If that doesn't work then perhaps it's a TRS input as previously noted.

Edit: looking at the photo the jacks are two pole therefore not TRS.
  11. Bobdudeman

Bobdudeman

so if o have to outs on my peavey bass head (peavey mark iii 300 chs xp series) i could run both to the jackplate on the cab? one to the 4 ohm and one to the 16 ohm? Im confused
  12. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Just run it in mono
  13. Bobdudeman

Bobdudeman

this is of course not the correct plate for this cab, should be on a 4x12 I think
  14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Now I'm confused. Is the switch for 4/16Ω or stereo/mono???
  15. Bobdudeman

Bobdudeman

You are right, mono is just fine, just figured the stereo aspect would be great for the guitar portion and mabey cool for the bass
  16. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Man, you don't want to go near that cab with two amps. One false move with the switch and you'll have two fried amps.

Use it with the switch set to mono and you are good to go.
  17. Bobdudeman

Bobdudeman

This is what I have.

Attached Files:

18. Bobdudeman

Bobdudeman

You are right, I will just run it on mono, It sounds great as is, just wondered why someone added that jackp[late in the first place. Bag End doesnt do that. As far as amps, I just power down one amp, pull the cable out of the ouit and plud it in the other amps line out and turn it on. No two amps at the same time,
  19. Bobdudeman

Bobdudeman

Thanks for everyones input on this. I appreciate this forum and all the knowledge. I am loving my bass playing/practicing. Trying to learn the fundamentals of guitar and bass at the same time. Its gonna be a while.
  20. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

You can use those switches for 4 ohm mono (left jack) parallel), 16 ohm mono (right jack) series), or 8 ohm stereo (both jacks used with separate amps)