1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How to say goodbye to my old strings...

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by one4dabass, Jan 12, 2013.

1. one4dabass

one4dabass

Just jamming after work, live tribute to one of the greatests double bass players/musician of all time (and to his beautiful duo with the great Kenny Drew)... No 'technical skills', in this vid ( ;) Damon) Happy new year to all of us! As usual, sound engineering is not one of my qualities ;)... Enjoy! Have a nice week-end!
    http://youtu.be/EV-1tiIg2jM

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Very nice! I also keep strings on for that long. Perhaps I should "eulogize" them when they pass.

3. one4dabass

one4dabass

Thanks Chris! It's sad (and hard) when it starts to not sound... Perhaps i'll keep them for special tunes (with amplified Arco, it was nice for precision, 'cause there was less reasonnance, so it was a dilemma to change it)... Now, let's work (again;))...
    Your pizz sound really great, it's really strong and dense, i'd love to hear your version...
    Thanks again and happy new year,
    Mathieu

4. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Nice playing, Mathieu! Yeah, changing strings is a tough thing to do especially when they're on there for so long..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. one4dabass

one4dabass

@ Phil: Thanks! Happy to see that i'm not the only 'string lover' on the forum! :)
    Happy new year and good music to you!
    Mathieu

7. damonsmith

damonsmith

Incredible playing! It is easy to get attached, I lost some spiro solo strings and almost had a nervous breakdown, but I found them and have solos back on the bass.
    You sound great.

8. one4dabass

one4dabass

Thanks, Damon! My strings were really exhausted, and I was obliged to play it 'careful' (some harmonics doen't sound, plus a 'buzz' on some notes)... But now, with my new strings, I must change my settings, i'm not comfortable at all! I know i must to play, but there's really too much tension :( And I have two gigs with l'Orchestre De Contrebasses in a couple of weeks... Tomorrow, i'll go to a luthier... ***** job :/
    Have a nice week and glad you found your strings! You're lucky! Good Music, good work,
    Mathieu

9. slngd

slngd

beautiful.... Nice to see some danish music, and especially being performed by a good musician such as yourself.

10. one4dabass

one4dabass

Thanks singd, as you said, i forgot to mention the traditional background of this really beautiful song! And you're right, Danish music is beautiful! The truth is I'm not an expert in Danish music, but i know one thing: Danish bass players are really good (Minh-Doky, NHOP etc)!
    The Master, with his vision of sound opened great way.
    Have a nice week and thanks again,
    Mathieu