1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How to sell your bass.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Aug 29, 2013.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

DISCLAIMER:Just in case you don't pickup on sarcasm well or you don't read threads in their entirety: this is meant to be fun.

As you can tell from my feedback on TB, I have had a lot of GAS since joining. That GAS has lead me to buy and sell a lot of instruments over the past few years. I consider myself an expert in the art of buying and selling. I see a lot of basses in the tb classifieds that aren't moving so I thought I'd give some advice to you newbs...

Fretwear: Do not disclose any. As soon as you do, no one is interested.

Weight: If your bass is heavy talk about how well it balances (to you) and that you have played 8 hour gigs with it with no issues. *BONUS* leave the weight out of your listing so people will bump your thread asking for it and you bump it with your reply.

Action: Always say your bass has a low action or atleast say it's capable of a low action.

Shims: Do NOT mention shimming the neck...people don't like that.

MOJO: If you got it flaunt it. Upsell the wear and tear on your bass!

Mint: People like this, put near in front of it for additional coverage if there is a slight bit of wear.

Sound: Use words like punchy, deep, woody, cut thru the mix, etc.

Steroids: Are always good. J bass lovers really like them.

Price: If you've bumped your bass for more than a couple of days you should drop the price. If it has been in the classifieds for a week...it's time for a FIRE SALE!

Just having some fun. And yea, I am guilty of some of these. :D

Feel free to add any funny sales tactics or things you see/don't see!
  2. kylej7

kylej7 Supporting Member

this thread just kind of makes me not want to buy a bass from you.
  3. P Town

P Town Guest

I find it amusing when I see a CL ad for an instrument that the seller bought recently described as: "Brand new". Yet, they have removed any protective plastic, opened the packaging for any included items, and obviously played it. "Like brand new" may be more accurate.
  4. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker Gold Supporting Member

If I click a pic and it goes to photobucket... I'm out
  5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I saw this the other day.

Post your bass at 9am. If no one replies by 12, bump it. If no one has replied by 2pm, lower the price.

If no one has bought it within 24 hours, drop the price another $200 and say priced to move.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Since the OP has been edited, I felt the need to edit my contribution. :)

Here's my 2 additions:

1. Hide the price as best you can. The harder it is to find, the more people will be obligated to read.

2. Don't be shy about putting the highest price possible. Truth be told, we're here to get as much as we can, ay? Most people don't know they can buy a bass new for 20% less than it usually retails for (with coupons or haggling), so don't be shy about how much you're asking. Will also help people think it really is in the condition you say it is.
  7. Dos Inus

Dos Inus Supporting Member

Never say, "I bought this off of a fellow TB'er." What that means to me is, one of us bought it, didn't like it, sold it to you, and you didn't like it either.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I remember selling a Peavey Foundation and I mentioned the neck had a slight bow because I did not have a socket style truss rod. Several people that I suspect were just tire kickers really questioned me about that neck. I eventually sold it to a TB'er from Indiana but I miss that bass to this day. It had absolutely perfect J-bass one!
  9. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

"I am only selling because I need the cash! So no lowballs!"

(couple lines later)

"Here are the trades I am interested in. I can do +or- cash on my end or yours."

This happens so much that it is kind of hilarious. I actually thought about doing a cut and paste document to save some and then post them as a thread but I figured it would offend too many here.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Why? I'm not arguing with you. Just curious as to why that turns you off.
  11. fourstringdrums

Why?
  12. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

If I go against the advice I just gave you wouldn't buy a bass from me anyway... :D

This thread is a joke at what can be seen in the classifieds from time to time. lol

Indeed

I'm not out but I agree, atleast put one pic.

THIS is what motivated sellers do! :)

Joe, these are actually helpful. I am being facetious!
  13. Makatak

Makatak

* Photos , lots of photos
    * Specify shipping , free shipping is a real arm twister

I always sell with clean bright strings , 9 out of ten Basses ive bought always have dead/flat strings, no wonder people give up playing and decide to sell, most of the basses I get are horrifically set up and GRUBBY. I lemon oil the Fretboard, make sure pots and output arent scratchy and strap buttons are tight , I even go as far as to make sure the wee allen screws in the bridge saddles arent slogged out or full of skin debris.Sometimes ill add a photo of the Truss rod Hex to show it isnt rounded out, only got cought once on that one but luckily the Neck didnt need adjustment but sold it on anyway.
    As far as condition goes, I dont mind an instrument with a few dings and chips, seems to make it feel more comfortable to play, I cant stand brand new condition shiny sterile Basses, but thats just me :)
  14. fourstringdrums

There is a bass up now that is going for more than what a new one would be, just based on the fact that it's 'rare'. But when you really think about what it is that he's selling, it's not REALLY that rare.

I wasn't aware that talking about price was against the rules, so when I mentioned that he was far above where it should be, I got yelled at. That's fair.. That's so the thread doesn't get cluttered with bickering. But I hate to think of some uneducated person buying it, though I don't really think it's going to sell.
  15. Epidrake

Epidrake

That's great advice Makatak!^^^^

I hate photobucket too. Too many ads and distractions.
  16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    First responders took this seriously.

I see you've edited the OP a bit. :)
  17. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

My favorite way to sell a bass is to continually bump the item for 3 full pages without a response or deleting previous bumps. I REALLY love looking at bump after bump after bump after...... :rollno:
  18. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

It also helps to demand a FEE FREE payment method, then point out that if you insist on being difficult and want to have some basic seller protection, you must pony up an additional 2% for a regular Paypal payment. That makes buyers line up to buy your stuff.
  19. Relayer71

Relayer71

Haha. I like the ones that go, "I'm the 11th owner in the last 6 months, I'm just into the short scale 7 string triple cut-away thing now, trust me, this bass is FANTASTIC!"
  20. fourstringdrums

I can't stress this one enough:

Post your ad but DON'T post pictures.

Wait until someone says "You need to post pictures" then reply back and say that you'll post them tomorrow.

This will undoubtedly help you sell your bass faster than if you just waited a day until you were able to post pictures and post the ad then instead.