1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How to set your bass up for really low tunings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AtheistMuffin, Dec 31, 2012.

1. AtheistMuffin

AtheistMuffin

yesterday I was playing around with some tunings and I liked B standard but the strings are way to loose and buzz if I try to pick in that tuning. I'm new to bass setup (I normally have it done when I buy a bass). What would I have to do to play this tuning smoothly?
  2. Gasman

Gasman Supporting Member

Get a set of 5 string bass strings, throw out the G. The strings will sit a bit higher unless you file down the nut, which I would really think about for a long time before I did.
  3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Using the bottom 4 strings of a 5-string set is a common and very workable idea. However... if you try to use a gauge string that's larger than the corresponding nut slot... especially the outer two strings... that's a recipe for a cracked nut, not to mention much higher action.
  4. Gasman

Gasman Supporting Member

Very true. I mentioned filing the nut to accommodate, but doing so is permanent, hence thinking about it. I should have mentioned the down side to putting those strings on without filing the nut. My bad.

To the OP, if you don't want very floppy strings, you'll need a much thicker gauge than typically comes on a four string bass. If you want to use, say, .110 or even .115 gauge E strings tuned to B, they're still going to be quite loose. You will need to raise your action significantly and adjust your truss rod a good bit.

You could always get a 5 string bass and solve this altogether as well:D