How to split a 1/4" monitor mix

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by DaleyKD, Aug 12, 2013.

1. DaleyKD

DaleyKD

I'm sure this is a simple answer, but I've been Googling all morning and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Our church's PA is a very simple setup, with two monitor mixes coming up to the stage from an amp.

I'm trying to implement an inexpensive IEM system for some of our worship team. (Laugh if you want) but I'm going to try a Behringer MA400 for one of the female vocalist, and if it works, use it for a couple others.

All that being said, how can I keep splitting the monitor mix if the MA400 doesn't daisy chain? Something that can take the 1/4" monitor mix input and split it to four or five outputs?
  2. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

3. DaleyKD

DaleyKD

4. uhdinator

uhdinator

You send the monitor master out to a DI box using an unbalanced TS cable, that drops the level to mic level, then a mic cable from DI to MA400 mic in. Jump another mic cable from mic thru to another unit and so on.

The thru jack on the DI can be connected to an amp close by (unbalanced) TS cable to get monitor line level signal to an amp.

No splitting required.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DaleyKD

DaleyKD

uhdinator, that might work if I just wanted to have an IEM of the current monitor mix. But how would I handle the 'more-me' functionality/need? If we're using the mic input/thru, then I can't add the actual vocalist's mic to the MA400.
  7. DaleyKD

DaleyKD

I'm wondering if something like the attached might work. Thoughts?

sounddesign.png
  8. uhdinator

uhdinator

If tapping into wedge monitor mix, do it off the paralleled 1/4 out on the amp channel input (line level) tapping off the speaker parallel out is tapping off the amp OUTPUT and will fry gear that's designed for line level.

If your console has balanced direct outs and the MA400 has balanced monitor in, you could run a TRS cable direct out of your mic channel to monitor in for more me volume control.

If going thru a snake it's easy enough to get a couple TRS/xlr adapters to go longer distance or use 50' mic cable with adapters. (TRS cables are not as common in long lengths over 20-25')