How to tap basslines?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jamerman, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Jamerman

Jamerman

If any can give any pointers on how this can be used, or songs it's used in (I don't mean solo-style tapping, I mean from the bassline perspective)
  2. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

I'd recommend listening to "Scarred," by Dream Theater. What John Myung does in the opening is play two complementary parts on the bass: with his left hand he plays two notes in a groove, while with the right hand on top he plays a chord sequence, taking both a bass role and a kind of rhythm guitar role, on the same instrument.

What can we take from this? Use the additional polyphony to illustrate chords, but don't forget the groove.

Listen to it here.
  3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Mr. Big - Addicted To That Rush. Nearly the whole song is tapped.
  4. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

7. Jamerman

Jamerman

Always happy to use Dream Theater as a musical example :D I like what myung does here, and I made a bass line that combines that with muted popping, and it sounds quite funky, so thanks for the recomendation :)

I also found this to be interesting

Has anyone got any good chapman stick players I can listen to? That stuff looks cool (I'm aware that 10 strings has a significantly larger range than a five string bass, and the tuning is pretty weird)
  8. youngdog4

youngdog4

check out rob martino on stick. holy crap
  9. Rev J

Rev J

As for creating bass lines the most basic approach is to lock in with the kick drum using your fretting hand and the snare using your plucking hand. From there you can also throw in fretting hand palm slaps in between.

Another approach I saw Billy Sheehan talk about years ago is getting a book of drum rudiments and practicing them using 2 handed tapping.

As for Stick players Tony Levin (duh), Trey Gunn, Sean Malone, Emett Chapman, and there's this dude Bryon (something I don't remember) Fresno who does solo stick stuff with a comedy bent.

C/S,
    Rev J
  10. ddhm

ddhm

Touch style playing can be applied in most any situation imho. What you are asking really depends on the desired outcome: Are you talking about playing 1 line with both hands or are you talking about playing 2 lines simultaneously? They are in no way the same. The kick/snare and rudiments thing would apply more to playing a single line with both hands.

It sounds like you are talking about playing a single line with both hands? Have a listen to Trey Gunn band play '"Kuma". They have a touch bassist that could certainly give you some ideas. Trey Gunn is also great to check out.
  11. Jamerman

Jamerman

Very interesting band that I've never heard of, thanks :)

(Is that 10 strings on his bass? Significatnly larger range, but a lot of cool ideas)
  12. ddhm

ddhm

I thought that he played an 8 string... could be wrong. I'm glad you enjoyed the TGB. Trey is a member of King Crimson. If you aren't hip, you should check them out too.
    Best of luck and happy tapping,
    Dan
  13. Jamerman

Jamerman

Playing some very simple piano music is something I might try as well, like Minuet in G or something
  14. ddhm

ddhm

Piano pieces probably are NOT a part of playing a 2 handed bass line... that is probably 2 lines man. There is nothing wrong with it but it's not really doing what you are asking. Again, 2 lines are something else altogether.

If you are looking at playing 2 lines, start simple man. Something like simply keeping time (1/4 notes) by tapping notes with the right hand and arpeggiating a chord with the left (start with 1/4 notes too). Then swap hands. Work your way up from there. 1/4 notes in one hand with 1/8th in the other, 6/8 in one hand and 7/4 in the other, let the math take you wherever it might. From there, change the time keeping hand into running scales. Swap hands... see where I'm headed? Start small, build up from there.

One tiny note, if you are a foot tapper, I suggest swapping feet from time to time. There is some science behind it but I'm not gonna quote sources or anything.

Be good,
    Dan
  15. Jamerman

Jamerman

I will follow this as best I can, it's just hard doing all the hammer-ons with the right hand, but I'm getting there :)
  16. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Just don't do it..please do not.
  17. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

The most a bassist should have is 6 strings then again I liking that low F# for a 7 stirng will I buy one no... I say if your like the big show yes do it you hands can handle it then do so. However mose people's hands are not that big. I have small hands but long fingers. The most I can deal with is a 6 stirng anyways.
  18. Jamerman

Jamerman

After looking it up I found he's playing something caller a Warr guitar, and you play it similer to a chapman stick (Ie: Nearly always tapping). I don't think you hold the neck the same as you would a bass,but I might be wrong
  19. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

+500

Have seen Rob play at least three times and met him a few times as well. He's a great player and a great person as well.

EDIT: Though Rob may not be the best place to go for tapping basslines. He does more multi-part pieces.