how to teach my sister to drum?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Unemploid, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Unemploid

Unemploid

so, I been looking for a drummer for our band. I'm the bassist and my bro is 21, we live in the Southern California area. our sister is 12 and she would like to learn to play the drums to play in our band. how should we teach her how to play, if we get a drumset?

my brother is the guitarist of out band, btw.
  2. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Drum Sales - Guitar Center
    You could probably teach her to play punk rock in about 2 months, but if you are trying to play technical death metal, you've got a couple of years before she's useful.

I would teach my sister if she wanted to learn just for fun but I wouldn't be trying to train her to be in my band.
  3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

paint the things she hates the most on each drum head. it will entice her to practice. great therapy, also. :)
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Buy some lessons for her at a local music store, and after you get her a drum kit, get her to put on headphones and play along with her favorite songs. FWIW: I don't think this a BM subject? Anyway, good luck and best wishes.

Cheers
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

fixed;)

but seriously, having her take lessons from someone who already plays drums is the best way to get her started if she (and you) is serious. It is also the best way for her to avoid MANY of the misconceptions about playing drums (just hit hard/a monkey could do it/play simple 4\4 and you will be fine, etc...) that usually hamper new players from moving to the intermediate level. I WOULD NOT have her just watch instructional videos on Youtube, or play along to Guitar Hero or the other "online tutoring" that is out there. Once again, there are NUMEROUS important elements of drumming that those things will never cover, and that can be a hindrance to her growth.

I am a band director, a Drum Instructor specifically, dealing with middle school to adult age students, and I spend so much time undoing "damage" to drummers that is received from uninformed people, and "educational" platforms that are out there now-a-days. Definitely invest in lessons!
  7. modulusman

modulusman

Why would you do that to your sister?:)
  8. Unemploid

Unemploid

our first drummer had been in music classes like through high school and maybe even middle school. we would really like a drummer that would help us and/or construct us with songs as he did. I know I would do my best to teach her and she will teach herself, but when playing our songs i see her doing what we say for her to do.

they reason why we're trying to go this route, is theater our band needs to be self reliant. no more looking for drummers, drummers that don't like are style, or drummers that can't make practices. drummers we can't work with, or lazy, or their parents bought them a nice set and doesn't use it, etc.
  9. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

Does your sister also share this philosophy?

As a drummer, I have to say that if you want her to be a decent drummer, it's going to take some time. It's a much harder instrument than it looks - trust me. Get her some lessons with a decent local teacher and see where it goes. If you're expecting her to be competent within six months, you might be very well disappointed.

To be honest, it sounds like you're going to be quite controlling of how she plays. If you are, that's really not fair on her and might put her off for life.
  10. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

I definitely get where your coming from form the dedication standpoint, but she is still going to need some good fundamental direction even to understand directions that you give her. Once again, a GOOD drummer is goign to need to understand some fundamentals of time keeping, pulse subdivision etc. It isn't as simple as just following a beat that someone speaks or plays....
  11. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

Two words. "The Shaggs."
  12. pasmithy

pasmithy

Long time drummer turned into an aspiring "solidly fair" bass player here. We've tried this with two guys. I was teaching them and man the idea of being in a band and actually making the effort to get better than horrible were two different things... (so I ordered a beatbuddy) LOL

That said, at least she's related to you and it sounds like she might be born to it. Get her lessons for sure. Jam with her a lot and you guys might have to "dummy down" the songs so she has a good time. Don't try and over face her, you are way ahead of her and you'll just frustrate her.Be supportive and good luck
  13. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    I hope they do better than that!
  14. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Are you expecting to gig with her? What venues will allow a 12 year old to play? Unless you're just messing around in the garage, hard to see how this can help get you out into the real world.
  15. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

They should be able to play everywhere.... well, except for bars - no?
  16. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Do everything you can to teach her yourselves, but seriously - also get her professional drum lessons, it will speed everything up.
  17. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

[​IMG]

Yeowza! :eek:
  18. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    To really appreciate them you need to hear them.
  19. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

20. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

bahahahaha yes!
  21. GregT

GregT

The Shaggs: They were so bad that they were actually good!! And they don-need no stinkin' bass player too.

To the OP. I have taught two women to play drums. It is indeed a real draw. People love it! Girls on drums rock!